Online Links and Deals :: Glasscages.com

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:23 pm   Glasscages.com

I am looking to buy a new 90 gal acrylic tank for my RES and found this place first on their Ebay store:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acrylic-Aquariums-f ... dZViewItem

I then discovered that they have a website www.glasscages.com

Has anybody bought tanks from these people? I was just wondering because it seems like their prices are way cheaper than any other place I have seen. They also ship which is nice.
Spookster

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:31 pm   

I had thought about buying a tank from them at one point, but once you figure in the shipping and handling, the prices aren't all the much less than what you could buy locally. Well at least that's how it turned out in my case. That's the thing you have to keep in mind when buying supplies/equipment online is the shipping and handling in addition to the intial price.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:03 am   

Carol is right. That is about the case with most stuff online. Unless you get a really good deal. Example: I got and enlarger for $1, but shipping was $30, but I still came out ahead because the enlarger was a 400 enlarger!!
tini

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:16 am   

They have a decent reputation, but shipping can negate any financial benefit. I do believe you can prearrange a purchase with them and pick up a tank at a reptile show/convention that they would be at... I think they will still charge a small fee to transport it there.

Tini, if I was still shot B/W photography, a $1 enlarger sounds pretty good!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:11 am   

I have sent them an email asking about shipping charges.

What I am going to order from them is a 90 gallon acrylic tank and oak stand for $337. Most acrylic tanks that size I have seen are like $400-$500+ just for the tank. I was just worried that maybe they were building bad tanks or something.
Spookster

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:27 pm   

Sounds like a deal if shipping isn't too bad.

. . . .or you could always aski steve *lol*
tini

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:21 pm   

Well I think they made a mistake on the tank price. I inquired about the acrylic 90 gallon long which is $190 and that price seems to be the one for the glass equivalent.

90 long aquairum $150.00

24" tall oak stand $195.00

Hinged glass tops $25.00
-----------------
Total $370.00

The stand can also be purchased 30" tall for $235.00

shipping cost to Florence SC freight terminal is $220.00

OR

Pick up from our truck in Greenville SC or Raleigh NC costs $60.00

Thank You,
glasscages@gmail.com

But that shipping cost is definitely a bit on the high side. And they made it sound like they don't ship to residences since they mentioned the cost to the freight terminal.
Spookster

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:03 pm   

I had a feeling the shipping was going to be astronomical... I believe I had read some where that they don't ship to the house because of the carrier they use. I believe it has to do with the possibility of damage. Kind of like they put it on the truck.. the truck drives it to their terminal.. and then you take it off the truck. That way the shipper isn't responsible if it should break upon delivery. I also thought that sounded rather inexpensive for an acrylic tank as they are a LOT more expensive than glass. So, now, are you going to get it or not.. :D
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:58 pm   

Well I got a repsonse back from them clarifying things. They do not ship to residences as you suspected. Grrrr. The location they ship it to is like 100 miles from me.

And get this here is there reply:

Read the term "freight terminal". You pick up there - no residential shipments.

Acrylic 90 gallon long costs $190.00 - $40.00 more than glass and not as good - acrylic scratches quickly and easily scratches.

For further info or to order call 615-446-8877 (9:00AM - 12noon Central Time - Monday through Friday only)

Thank You,

http://www.glasscages.com
glasscages@gmail.com

They are trying to talk me out of buying their more expensive acrylic tank. Somebody needs to work on their salesmen skills. lol

Either way i'm out of luck. I don't have a truck or van and I don't know anyone that owns one so I have no way of picking it up. Local pet stores don't deliver tanks either. Guess I will have to go rent a truck for a few hours or something. But since their shipping point is so far away I will just have to pick up a tank from the local pet store. They have a 90 gallon glass tank here so I guess I will go with that. :(

Why does it have to be so difficult to get a new home for my turtle. I swear it's as hard as trying to buy a real house.
Spookster

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:20 pm   

Actually there was a discussion on here about buying acrylic tanks for turtles as they scratch very easily and turtles are known for trying to "climb" up the tank walls. So maybe their sales department was doing what was best for you and not just in it for a Sale.. not a bad thing in my book :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:32 pm   

That might be true but they don't know I am getting it for a turtle. I'll just stick with trusty old glass. :)

Ok now I got to go work on designing the new basking area.
Spookster

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:04 am   

just my opinion: I don't trust them. Can't explain it and have never heard of them but I looked at there site and something is off. They are supposed to be at a reptile show here on Nov. 12. I was already going to it. If I figure it out I will let you know. I guess call it women's intuition.
curiousmonkey

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:47 am   

(grins)I followed "intuition" all the time, I'd be a hermit living in the mountains.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:17 pm   

i just have to do this, i'm going to email them with the questions for shipping on this....

810 Gal. 144 x 37½ x 36 $3450 No Picture
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:07 pm   

I also found out about these guys from ebay. They are in Dickson Tennessee. Not to far from us and their prices look good. It wouldn't be to far for us to drive either.
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
TinySlider2

Next

Return to Online Links and Deals