Online Links and Deals :: New Reptile Website?

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:03 am   

They also said they would like yall to make care sheets of your own and send it to them.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:49 am   

and i confuse here
jameshermanto

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:14 pm   

al has had books published he has written on the care of all different types of turtles. im pretty sure he knows what hes talking about.
1 Pearl River Map-Carnage
1 Missisippi Map-Dr.Octopus
1 Western Painted- Cyclops
1 Japanese Pond-Nightcrawler
1 Texas Map Turtle-Flash
1 Savannah Monitor-Timon
1 Albino Red Corn Snake-Mr. Pockets
1 Bearded Dragon- Havoc(6 fbnewts7fbtoads)
pickerbp22

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:31 pm   

Okay? I just said what they told me, I didn't say he didn't know what he was talking about.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:34 pm   

im just stating a fact. not telling you specifically. i was basically adding on to my previous post.
1 Texas Map Turtle-Flash
1 Savannah Monitor-Timon
pickerbp22

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:53 pm   

pickerbp22 wrote:this is why i went and found reptastic, because many people on this site are quick to rag on the new pet owner who is simply asking a question on how to take better care of their pet. ... and you belittle them and are sarcastic with their answers, thats just gonna drive them away. ... you have to encourage someone how to properly care for their pet. NOT MAKE THEM FEEL STUPID. ... The only con is that a lot of people are just not nice a lot of the time. ... can everyone just be nice? and make this site pleasant for everyone?

pickerbp22 - I'm sorry you have had an ill experience on this website, but if you are able to cite specific examples, you should notify a moderator or Steve as soon as it comes up. I can't think of any examples like this that I have seen, and I post quite often. We aren't trying to discourage people or be sarcastic when we immediately start in on critiquing people's setups or feeding schedules or whatnot. We completely understand that not everyone can afford immediately to spend hundreds of dollars to fix up their turtle's environment.

Meanwhile, I apologize, but I won't put my faith in anyone who has been breeding turtles for years, has written books about turtles, and strives to make up caresheets for animals he may not have experience for. In my opinion, every caresheet should contain not only minimum guidelines, but all sides of opinions. Based on my email, when I was blatently shot down about keeping multiple turtles together as being a bad idea, I don't see him being any more open-minded than you claim us to be. Yes, multiple turtles do frequently live happy and long and uneventful lives together. And yes, frequently turtles are killed because they are housed together. Any GOOD caresheet would at least include both aspects.

jj_lynn, I'm sorry I missed your live chat, I would have been interested in attending. Please keep us informed of future live chats, as I'm sure many members would be interested in attending, myself included. However, I don't see a point in us making up a caresheet when it is all spelled out on the main site (www.redearslider.com). As far as I'm concerned, I think the fewer websites dealing with a particular subject, the better. Otherwise, things get distorted, changed, and eventually, things are lost.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:14 pm   

computergremlin. i really appreciate your response. it means a lot. you may not have noticed these things. but i have on several occasions. next time. i will send you a link in a private message to you so you can see for yourself. in my own personal care for my pets i have came on this website searching for help. most of the time i get the help i need. but there are some times where i get discouraged by the way other members respond to my questions. i mean isnt it better for someone to ask a "dumb" question then to not ask it at all and not be properly caring for their pet??? thats what im saying in a nut shell. people dont ask questions to waste other peoples time. these questions one person may think are stupid, may be important factors in the proper care of that persons pet. everyone should just be open minded toward new turtle owners, and not get mad at them if they ask a question thats been asked before. for example can i use gravel?

i just wish everyone could have a positive attitude, and friendly, and helpful

thats all im trying to say. and i know im not the only one that feels this way
1 Texas Map Turtle-Flash
1 Savannah Monitor-Timon
pickerbp22

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:16 pm   

oh and just to let you guys know. reptastic has scheduled live chats. but every night theirs people in the chat room even if theres no scheduled chat. just go in the room - the reptile lounge
1 Texas Map Turtle-Flash
1 Savannah Monitor-Timon
pickerbp22

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:33 pm   

the reason i asked for this forum to make up their own caresheet, is because this is what this thread about, right? someone was not satisfied with the information that was bein givin. therefore, if u create ur own, that u would like to see on our forum, all is well. and as stated before, there is chat 24/7. there r scheduled times for certain rooms on certain days. when u go to log on or register for chat, if u scroll down, there is schedule.
jj_lynn

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:44 pm   

There is a complete caresheet on the main site: http://www.redearslider.com

I would have to agree with Jax on this one. I find that the caresheets I go by (in general not just the one offered here) offer well rounded points of view. They aren't necessarily a list of to do's and not to do's but an in depth way of caring for your animal and the reasons behind it. The caresheet provided by this is site is incredibly informative. There are several controversial topics (housing together, housing size, diet) in which multiple options are provided. And I think that is the basis for a 'good caresheet'. One that provides a multitude of acceptable ways to care for your animal AND reasons why it's not okay to do things that are not recommended (as opposed to the list of not to do's).

I don't think it's okay to comprise a caresheet filled with generic information. When the information provided is comparable to the information provided by the petsmart caresheet, I feel a little wary. I don't understand the point of offering basic information in a caresheet. Caresheets are made for everyone not just for new owners, so basic information only helps out basic keepers on a basic level.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
untsmurf

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 am   

untsmurf wrote:I don't think it's okay to comprise a caresheet filled with generic information. When the information provided is comparable to the information provided by the petsmart caresheet, I feel a little wary. I don't understand the point of offering basic information in a caresheet. Caresheets are made for everyone not just for new owners, so basic information only helps out basic keepers on a basic level.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 8)
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:36 pm   

It seems they changed their caresheet?
1 Female RES 6 in.
4'x2-1/2'x2' Tank
1 Mangrove Monitor 3.5 ft
10'x10'x6' Enclosure
akaghettoraver

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:06 pm   

Doesn't look much changed to me, still has some inadequacies as far as I'm concerned.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Previous

Return to Online Links and Deals