Online Links and Deals :: This a good deal? 125 gallon tank 379.99

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 pm   This a good deal? 125 gallon tank 379.99

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3804451
It's cheaper then what I can custom make. It's pretty big but my question is if it could hold my turtle in it when it grows up and makes sure it doesn't crack.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
n00bEmpty

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:21 am   

I dont think so. A good deal is like 1 gallon for a dollar
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:14 am   

Yeah I would love something like that but nobody is like that selling in my area, I checked but yeah. To me, this is a good deal since a tank that big in my area is like "Buy this tank and I'll give you gravel, the fishes, the stand, etc." I don't really need none of that stuff and most of them are non negotiable. This then I can just literally walk to PetSmart and get one.
n00bEmpty

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:03 am   

I wait to find good deals on used 125 gal on craigslist. I have 2. The first i paid $130 and had it delivered to my house. The second i paid $50 and had to drive 45 min each way to pick it up.
If you're willing to spend that much on a new one, then yeah it's a good deal.Just remember that saving money now, would allow you to spend more on accessories.
jozzep

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 pm   

Pet store chains have bad deals. Here, a local store sells a 75 gallon tank for 100 bucks. Petsmart wants over 250 for that size.
adam85491

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 pm   

The thing is that I checked Craigslist. Nothing good. All they sell is the similar size tank for like 700 dollars with their accessories. I can get accessories cheap but I can't get tanks cheap in my local area. If you guys can get a good deal that ships then I would appreciate it but otherwise I have to go with this tank.
n00bEmpty

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:50 pm   

Sounds like I'm in a similar area as you. Local pet stores sell a 75g for $400+ and the used prices reflect that.
$370 for a 125 might be a little high, but I would say it's not unreasonable. A 125g on glasscages.com is $340, so Petsmart isn't far out of the ball park.

A 125g is an alright size for 2 adult RES, unless you end up with two big females.

As long as the tank is properly supported, and you don't, say, throw a baseball through the tank, it shouldn't crack ;)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:39 am   

BullDog wrote:Sounds like I'm in a similar area as you. Local pet stores sell a 75g for $400+ and the used prices reflect that.
$370 for a 125 might be a little high, but I would say it's not unreasonable. A 125g on glasscages.com is $340, so Petsmart isn't far out of the ball park.

A 125g is an alright size for 2 adult RES, unless you end up with two big females.

As long as the tank is properly supported, and you don't, say, throw a baseball through the tank, it shouldn't crack ;)

That's the thing. Two adult male RES would likely fight more then two adut female RES, because they need to show dominance or something. That's that I heard from some people.
n00bEmpty

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:53 pm   

Yup, that's absolutely true. You're more likely to get fighting between two males than two females. You'll also get some fighting between a male and female, and two females can also fight.

Though if you did end up getting two males, I was thinking the 125g would be an OK size to divide. A divided 125 would be tight for two females though.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 pm   

Eh, my friend is getting a Mississippi Map turtle in a couple of days but the ad for them says that he has to buy at least two of them so he's giving one of them to me so I will definitely need a a tank that big for both turtles. If they're both males then I'll have to separate them but if they're both females (I read somewhere that the Mississippi doesn't get really big) then I think it'll do for a couple of years. They both can live in similar habitats (get crickets, pellets, veggies, etc.
n00bEmpty

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:45 am   

What base do you think you might buy? ~8.35 pounds per gallon of water... 110 gal. if you fill it nearly to the top, is ~920 lbs. or more if you fill it fuller. Cabinets for the 125g aquarium cost pretty much, to be sturdy enough to support all that weight. Strong, level floor, like a concrete basement floor....

I looked at our PetSmart and the 125g with its cabinet costs around 7-800 bucks. Then the filter, lights, heaters, ...

Turtles are pretty expensive, but at least they are not as expensive as horses ;)
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
1 female RES, Itai, 1 female Western Painted, Daisey. They have lots of colorful pet fish and about 770 gal water.
V Lou

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:06 pm   

Haha. I'm planning on making my own support cabinet. I'm very good with tools and that sort of matter. I have a concrete basement and I'm on the first floor. I'm planning on using some painted wood (to make it look nice and all that) with a concrete layer on the underside. Eight 2'' diameter steel beams, one in every corner and the four will be in between. Then have the sides with the same matching wood and all that, to cover up the support then some small strips of cardboard or whatever I can find so it wouldn't look ugly when I look in it. It'll be strong enough to survive an earthquake..... and very heavy..... :(
So the whole setup will cost me about 500 dollars. Building your own stuff isn't that hard. Could have built my own customized tank if the glass around here and stuff weren't so expensive (500 dollars for a tank that' hold 100 gallons) and the labor. So yeah, I rather build my own things then buy them. I always look at that as a first option then if I can't then I'll just look for the greatest deal.
n00bEmpty

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:09 am   

Awesome!
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
1 female RES, Itai, 1 female Western Painted, Daisey. They have lots of colorful pet fish and about 770 gal water.
V Lou

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:40 am   

My go-to place for what I think tanks should cost is glasscages.com. I figure that if I can find it cheaper than there, it's a good deal. And remember, those $1/gallon sales only go to either 50 or 55 gallons at Petco. So during that sale, a 55 gallon costs $55, but a 75 gallon would cost $300 ...

However, if you aren't in a rush, just keep waiting out Craigslist.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:30 pm   

Oh cool, I found somebody in my area selling 112 gallons for 100 dollars.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/1596258607.html
And somebody selling 300 dollars for 250 dollars.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/1599389383.html
n00bEmpty

Next

Return to Online Links and Deals