Photo Gallery :: New 90g/40g "L"-shaped tank setup

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:37 pm   

Thanks everybody! :D

So I tried it again on my second sheet of acrylic. This time I did not heat up the pipe. Instead I heated both sides of the acrylic with the torch and when it started to bend, I laid it down along the pipe, continued to heat it very gradually and applied pressure until I got the full bend I wanted. And here it is...

I also found that the plastic eggcrate that I'm using for the platforms is too weak across that length of span so I superglued a strip under it to add strength...
DavidY

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:40 pm   

Tenodera wrote:I think you're setting a new trend David! Soon all turtle owners would be recommended to follow the example of wise David :D

Lol! I am merely a humble student following the example of the wise GreyGoose. I've gotten most of my ideas from following his thread. He's much cleaner and neater than I am though. You should see my basement. :roll:
DavidY

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:04 pm   

Looks good so far! Thanks for the step-by-step guide!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:26 pm   

Grey Goose may be the master builder here, but you're the reptile king DavidY! It does look good so far!
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
scripta_elegans

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:43 pm   

LOL I tried the torch method on my first try! First I burned my thumb, then I singed the hair on my arm, then I burned my hand when I tried to make the bend ("Now where did I put my gloves? Ah, I don't need them, how hot can it be?). Well, I "overheated" it and it got all distorted and out of control......
After I healed, I tried it again, only this time I used a heat gun. Much better control of the heat. I got a nice, even bend.

Master builder indeed.......... :P I've got the scars to prove it!

Looks good so far! Can't wait to see the finished setup.
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:16 pm   

ROFL!! :lol: I didn't have access to a heat gun. Plus I had experience working with acrylic back in shop class in high school and I really liked working with the stuff. :D
DavidY

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:46 am   

Awesome job!!
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
N4784N R4613

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:48 pm   

Awesome, can't wait for the finished product, is the area on that side of the tank a resting platform, a la grey goose? or is that where the plants are going?
>>kate<<
1.0.0 Red Eared Slider: Ethel
0.1.0 Gulf Coast Box Turtle: Bertha
0.0.1 False Tomato Frog:: Paco
1.0.1 Albino ACFs: Guillermo and Carlos
1.0.0 Pit Bull Terrier: Rocco
1.0.0 Black Lab/Mastiff: Bert
1.0.0 Orange Kitten: Baxter
kmichael55

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:48 pm   

Yup that's a bona fide Grey Goose Resting Platform knock off! :D

I put all 3 RES in the 90gal today while I siphoned out the water (and all the gunk!) out of the 40gal so I could raise it up and slide it closer to the 90gal. They really liked it! And the two smaller males really liked the resting platform too. One guy would sit on it and then gently push off the edge and swim through the water like he was flying. It was pretty cool to watch! :)

I moved the XP3 filter around to the back and under the 40gal. I've also refilled the 40gal and put 2 of the RES back in there (the big mama doesn't want to come out of the 90gal yet). I need to finish the basking platform and ramps and the last piece of acrylic wall that will cover the 40gal's front, and the I think that will be it. :o
DavidY

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:52 pm   

SWEETNESS!! :lol:
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
N4784N R4613

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:35 pm   

Wow i really want to see the finished product

Take many pictures
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
Safdar

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:22 pm   

Okay, it's getting really close to completion now. Today I attached the background paper to the back boards and the back of the tanks. I then put boards on the back of the tanks. I then removed the boards and did some remeasuring and recutting. :evil: And then put it all back together again. :roll: Then I added the piece of acrylic that I bent for the front and side of the 90gal and attached it to the backboard. Here's a couple of pics of how it looks so far...

I'm not too thrilled with the above-tank background. It just seems to busy or cluttered to me. But overall it's coming along nicely I think. I just have to make the main basking platform, the ramp to the 40gal tank and the acrylic front to the 40gal. Then I need to think some more about the live plant thing, but the turtles will be able to start using both tanks as soon as the basking platform is done.
DavidY

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:32 pm   

I think it looks great!
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
scripta_elegans

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:35 pm   

Wow! that's beautiful! Your turtles are going to be very happy! What does the cornsnake(?) think of all of the commotion and new neighbors?
RES, Nicaraguan slider, Chinese Golden Thread, Northern DBT, Eastern Painted, Gibba turtle, Leopard tortoise, 3 Central American Woods, 2 Home's Hingeback tortoises, False Map, Northern Map, 2 Pink bellies, Reeves
lotsofpets

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:49 pm   

Thanks! :D

That's my female Hypomelanistic Honduran Milksnake (her future mate is in the tank below hers...a future breeding project!). She's pretty cool about it. Actually their eyesight is pretty bad. They can pick out motion and light but I don't think they can make out much details so she probably has no idea that there are turtles now living next to her. :lol: I think she's too caught up in a trance while she's digesting her recent meal (4 frozen/thawed pinky rats and 2 f/t fuzzy mice). :D
DavidY

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery