Photo Gallery :: New 90g/40g "L"-shaped tank setup

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:46 am   Plastic for basking

hi,

where did you get that cool plastic mesh? purchased in USA???

Thanks,

-devin

DavidY wrote:Okay so my turtles have been enjoying their newly expanded L-shaped setup for a while now. I just haven't had a chance to get the pics uploaded and posted. So here goes...

You can see the new basking deck on the 90gal and the ramp. The deck is made out of a 16"x16" piece of ceramic tile glued to two thick strips of glass using silicone sealant. I had to use the glass strips because the width of the frame was 16.5". :?

I had setup a temporary ramp from the original basking platform in the 40g to the new basking deck but they keep knocking it over. I will make a permanent ramp once I get the live plant cage built.

Here are the two boys on the new deck...
devinpaul

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:25 pm   

The white grate? That's called egg crate, and I think most hardware stores carry it. It works great for any turtle related project! :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:30 pm   

I think the actual name for it is a light diffuser :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:06 am   

Yup, thats how I found mine. It is a light diffuser used in drop ceilings. It should be somewhere around the drop ceiling section in most hardware stores.
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
N4784N R4613

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:45 pm   

Yeah I found it at both Home Depot and Lowes in the rack of light diffusers near the drop ceiling panels. That particular style of light diffuser panel is called "egg-crate".
DavidY

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:15 am   

nice job on the sick set-up!
stingray

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:16 pm   

pics dont show for me:(
20 hamsters [or more]
1 white bunny with red eyes:)
3 black dogs
1 parrot/bird [forgot]
2 betta fish and a small aquarium
&________(to be filled)_________
yomama

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:51 pm   

yomama wrote:pics dont show for me:(

They are working fine on my end.
Dave in NJ
*1 Male RES Hurley 4 yrs old * 3 cats Joe,Jak and Pip * 3 crested geckos Izabella, Lil Lady & Striker (plus 6 baby cresties) * 1 Wife Kristel *
donchewliano

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:32 pm   

Argh, I don't know why the picture links work for some but not for others. :? I'm hosting them on ImageShack.com.

Thanks for the compliments! :D
DavidY

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:13 pm   

that tank is awesome...im wondering...is that a 2-3 inch drop from the basking platform to the water on the shorter tank?..how do they get back up?..or am i seeing it wrong?..great idea tho!
Twoster

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:19 am   

DavidY wrote:Argh, I don't know why the picture links work for some but not for others. :? I'm hosting them on ImageShack.com.

Thanks for the compliments! :D

I think she/he means the pics in your first couple of posts, before you started using ImageShack.com. Because every other pic shows up, for me anyway, except those first few. :?

I love this set up! How is everything going? Did you come acrossed any trouble after you set it up? Or has it been "smooth sailing" since?
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
N4784N R4613

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:47 pm   

In the picture at the top of this page there is a drop off from the basking deck to the shorter tank. But here's a picture of the finished product after I rebuilt the ramp/live plant area...

Nathan, everything is going great with that setup. The turtles are all doing well although one of the males, Tweedle Dum, looks like he might be having a problem with retained scutes. He also is not as active as the other two but he still basks and begs for food (he doesn't eat his vegetables like the other two though... :?). They all go back and forth between the tanks regularly. When I'm feeding them, if one of them is in the other tank, he'll quickly scurry over to the one with the food to get in on the meal (even though I would get to him too but he doesn't want to wait).

I've got some new baby turtles recently as well as a couple of new snakes. I'll post pics later...
DavidY

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:14 pm   

this is the most amazing setup i've ever seen! great job! very impressive :D
turtlefreak

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:16 pm   

DavidY wrote:Nathan, everything is going great with that setup. The turtles are all doing well although one of the males, Tweedle Dum, looks like he might be having a problem with retained scutes. He also is not as active as the other two but he still basks and begs for food (he doesn't eat his vegetables like the other two though... :?). They all go back and forth between the tanks regularly. When I'm feeding them, if one of them is in the other tank, he'll quickly scurry over to the one with the food to get in on the meal (even though I would get to him too but he doesn't want to wait).

I've got some new baby turtles recently as well as a couple of new snakes. I'll post pics later...

Cool, I'm glad everything worked out! It seems like a common problem, retained scutes that is, there have been allot of members asking about it. :? I hope he is alright, lol my male(I am just guessing, could be female. :lol: ) doesn't eat allot of veggies either. :? They learned to go back and forth pretty quick didn't they? Sometimes I am amazed at how smart they are. :D :D I can just picture one of them running acrossed to get to the food!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't wait to see the new pics of the new pets!!!! :D :D :D
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
N4784N R4613

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:12 pm   

turtlefreak wrote:this is the most amazing setup i've ever seen! great job! very impressive :D

Thank you! :D I love building that kind of stuff.
DavidY

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery