Photo Gallery :: Pyramiding?

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:25 pm   Pyramiding?

Lately I've been scanning my res Jo and looks like he's pyramiding. I let my vet examine him, she said it was growth rings? Which do you think?

His diet constist of romaine and red leaf everyday, pellets about 2x a week, carrots and anacharis. His once a month treat are strawberries

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:39 pm   

To me it looks like scute build-up and he needs to shed.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:42 pm   

He shedded about a month and a half ago. He basks fine and eats all his veggies. How do i stop scute build-up?

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:02 pm   

I think he'll shed by himself in time if he just did it a month and a half ago. But it looks like he still has some smaller scutes on his left side, or are those areas portions that did shed already?

I called it scute build-up because my RES shed some of his scutes earlier in the summer, and the new ones that were exposed turned whitish and last week shed again. The scutes that shed twice look beautiful, but his vertebral scutes have not yet shed at all. I can see the growth rings on them that your turtle has and they have a whitish color to them as well. Don't know why he shed twice, but wonder if being out in the sun a lot did it. Is your turtle out in the sun a lot?

I've also noticed that Tilly seems to want to shed--when he's outside in his pool, he'll sometimes get under the edge of his corkbark and rub his shell back and forth. When I can, I hold the corkbark in one place so he can really do some rubbing (I have a rock under it to anchor it, but he rubs so hard sometimes that he dislodges it and it floats around in the pool).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:11 pm   

While my bigger turts are in the kiddie pool during the summer, I let Jo outside only during the day since he's smaller. I also see Jo rubbing his shell along the dock's egde, it's pretty much backing up and then zooming and scraping, over and over again.
On the top left side of him, you can see a little white egde looking it's like to peel off. That's a scute that didn't entirely shed. I've been concerned about that since if water traps under there, it could lead to shell rot.
But this isn't much of pyramiding, yes? More like a shedding problem?

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:20 pm   

To me, it's more of a shedding problem.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:38 pm   

Thanks marisa for your help :)

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Return to Photo Gallery