Photo Gallery :: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 am   Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

happycamper

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:19 am   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

Nice. got alot of cool lookin fish in there too
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:04 am   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

Looks very nice, the tank looks great :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 am   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

I am guess based on color here - and lack of hiding spots...

Your fish will be goners once your turtle realizes that they are a food source (which is inevitable). If you were to add a bit more detail to your bottom that the fish can easily swim through, without the turtle getting through - you will increase the chances of survival by a large margine. Fish do not evade predators by being faster, but by being more agile, give them spaces to spring through with angles, and tight spaces the turtle will eventually not bother following them - but if its open with the fish no where to maneuver through it won't be long before your turtle is strong enough to catch them ;)
SSMcLeod

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 am   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

These fish have been sheldons tank mates for about a year now. He seems to only eat really bright fish, the 3 fish he has eaten were a dwarf guarami and a couple fancy guppies. I reduced hides because my fish are reproducing too much! Plus I have my tank set up for maximum turtle enjoyment!
happycamper

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 pm   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

really nice tank :D
0.1.0 - Trachemys Scripta Elegans (Duper)
1.0.0 - Graptemys Nigrinoda Nigrinoda (Peanut)
0.0.1 - Malaclemys Terrapin Centrata Concentric (Speedy)
Jaysea

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:32 pm   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

Thanks! The only thing I think I need to change now is the background. I have a 3d background on my smaller aquarium, I would love to put one in here, but then the basking area suction cups wouldn't work... yadda yadda... need to think of something creative :)
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 am   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

Looks really good!!
3 RES - George, Mugsy, and Fredo
(Sharing a 80 Gallon tank)
2 Ouachita Maps - Marvin & MaGirk
(sharing a 60 Gallon tank)
1 Pink Belly Side Neck - Pete & 1 Stinkpot Musk - Steve
(Sharing a 29 Gallon tank)
db'sSlider

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:58 pm   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

Nice tank! Is it difficult to reach to the bottom of the tank during cleaning, due to your ATBA thing you've got there?

I'm looking at making an ATBA but am wondering how I'm supposed to reach the bottom of my tank to move stuff around while cleaning. And my tank stand is pretty low too...
Karawr

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:52 pm   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

The whole thing just lifts off. Its pretty light weight and its just resting on the lip of the aquarium.
happycamper

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:29 pm   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

Ohhh nice. Hopefully once my ATBA is done it'll be light too. I'm looking at making the glass on the front be on hinges so I can open it up from the front to reach in. Not sure yet.

What are you resting your lamps on? Eggcrate? Does it melt? I'm having a light dilemma on how I can set it up haha.
Karawr

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:29 pm   Re: Under water cork bark rest area for sheldon!

I use a screen lid, like for reptiles. Some people say that the screen will reduce the amount of UVB light that reaches the turtle, but in my opinion it can't be blocked much. Another option would be clamping the lights onto the box, but it makes me nervous having lights hanging over open water like that.

Another downside to my lid is a lot of water loss through evaporation, but I find it easy to stay on top of that.

The screen lid has a handy opening thingy for feeding and whatnot, and should fit perfectly if your box has about the same footprint as the tank :)

I find acrylic easier to work with than glass, easy to cut and you can drill through it (carefully).
happycamper

Return to Photo Gallery