Photo Gallery :: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:35 pm   just thought i would post smart turtle pics

this is my turtle, no name just acquired them for free decked them out in a 20 gal(for now im trying to find a 50 gal or bigger for them) with a 350 magnum canister make the change up easier bulbs are already the powerful ones 10.0 exoterra 26w cfl and a zoomed 100w basking lamp. (got a 150 halogen for the upgrage sitting around so each baskng area canhave heat) but any ways the pics this is my turtl he "flying, but actaully he is sitting next to the pumps outtake using his legs to divert the water across the rock and his body, true hydronic system smart f'ing turtle.(i have up against the wall they didnt like th commotion it was causing)
googleme

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

Welcome to the site! I fixed those image embed links for you.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

thank you much nicer i like forums. good way to interact. ill be around, im not much the turtle guy but these guys have quite the personality. actually ahving trouble with them currently they seem to like to fight and im unsure whether thay are both males ill have some more pices up and questions later, btw how do i correctly post URL img? us the image button instead?
googleme

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:38 am   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

Hi! Those are some nice looking turtles :)
RosesNKeeks

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 pm   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

The first picture of one of them basking is great.
Mine fight sometimes, too. They probably just need some more space. Once I got them a reasonably sized tank the fighting mostly stopped. they still fight over food sometimes though.
AllTheCandies

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:31 am   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

dirty turrtle messed my filter up now it needs cleaned, is it possible to add a submersible pump on the intake of he filter sytem in the tank? i believe the motor is dying. or just weak need some extra push o help it.

hope this pic worked right, oh and that a tommato clone and behind it is a sunflower seedling hopefully they dont eat them b4 they can actually afford the loss
googleme

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:07 pm   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

Handsome turtles! Tomato leaves and stems are toxic not sure if a turtle knows that or not.
Kado's turtle cam
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kadokun-turtle-cam offline for now..
Kado

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:40 pm   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

yeah he knows. he tried a little and didnt like it they haven't tried again. also the reason i picked it i figured it would hold the least interest for them.

the smell they know its no good.
googleme

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:28 am   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

submersible pump worked great after i found the o-ring that sealed to top to the canister ended up using a 160gph pump (10.5w) and its running like a top.
anyways to anybody that need to save a few buck this is a great way to bring a filter back to life.
googleme

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 pm   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

some new pics. my "new" 55 gal tank long i got for free cost 15$ to repair and no leaks:) so far..... addded alot more water some feeder fish and another ligh i will be adding another basking spot and another UVB bulb.
googleme

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 pm   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

i though i would mention that this whole setup cost me next to nothing i think i have spent about 100$ because i was very thrifty. magnum 350 filter 40$ light bulb 20$ cuttle bone food and pvc pipe 20$ replacement filter 15$ x2 tanks free, x2 turles free, light fixture free, uvb bulb free, rocks collected out of a local stream free, brichs free air pump and air stone free.

my girlfriends love it, as a visual, abut she has yet to do more than just touch or hold a turtle lol. looks like its my job to take care of the turtles.
googleme

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:38 am   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

"Free turtles" get kinda expensive :)

Is that a crack on the bottom of that tank? Since you have boys, you don't need a dirt in a basking area. Did they eat the plants?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:05 am   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

yeah well 100 is better than 1000$ if i would have bought everthing new and the turtles..... but im pretty happy. darn im sorry to hear they are both males since they both seem to be trying to rape each i figured that, im also guessing this is the source of most of the behavior issues. i figured i would have to rid myself of one of the turtles, it will probably be the large one since he is just overly aggressive and can catch fish and forage(he like to dig in the dirt, get dirty, get a mouth full then dive in the tank, make a [----] cloud evertime very annoying) probably let him into the wild south of where i am (so southern ohio)

lol no they didnt eat the plants i removed them simply because they werent what i wanted to put in there, just filler, im gonna do some other plants soon but im unsure what kind, but i did add sand and made a few changes to the tank today. got to find another rock for the tunnel added some more brick and another basking area.

if i do get have to get rid of a turtle, can i get another one, my girl is gonna be a big baby about it but i already told this would be more than likely the recommended case.

lol but this hobby is pretty fun i should be getting a ahold of a 175 gal tank for free in the next week and i plan on fixing all the seals, and setting that up with an above tank basking area in addition but thats my pet project as the funds are not there yet.

oh and yes that is a humongous crack. fixed with single pane glass and right now i thing about 10lbs of sand 4 bricks 2 turtles and 20 gal of water are sitting on top of it ;)
googleme

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:09 am   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

oh the dirt well i didnt have anything better i have sand now but "installing" the sand had me so angry it caused my girlfriend to fail her test online and me to almost send a brick thru the tank. it wasnt the cloud that had me mad the fact i washed the sand several times and still had to remove water and replace 2x to get it to a decent cloudyness and had to remove everything to only find it wouldn't go back the same way it came out.

so i think i will avoid sand for now.
googleme

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:44 am   Re: just thought i would post smart turtle pics

So you siliconed a plane on top of the original glass? That should work sealing the water in, though it doesn't help with the structural support which has been compromised and is not fully supported by that dresser. The side panels also rest down on the bottom glass, so that weight is still on the broken glass.

Don't release the male into the wild, try to rehome him or even look to see if someone has a pond on their property.

Unless both turtles are females, you have little chance of making it work. That's just the way it is.. even RES females don't always get along.

You can divide a 175 gallon tank, that would be fine for two males... much easier than having separate tanks.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Photo Gallery