Photo Gallery :: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 am   Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Since I'm new to the forum I wanted to post a couple pics of our newest additions to the family as well as some existing members so without further adieu here's some turtles, toads, frogs, and a kid :)

Turtles

pmkls1

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:30 am   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Toads

pmkls1

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:33 am   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Frogs

pmkls1

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:34 am   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

And the most precious member of the family I saved for last.....

pmkls1

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:03 am   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Haha beautiful Girl, I guess she likes the turps eh??

You know me always asking questions, what type of frogs and toads are they?? Are the frogs tree frogs?? I think the frogs are cute.. We had some massive tree frogs in FL,, Can't say I miss them barking at night right outside the bedroom window.. don't know how many times we went out there and swept them off with a broom just so we could sleep..lol
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:12 am   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Those are all good questions seriously. The toads were Fowler's toads and we released them all just before fall. They were wild caught and were far from being too domesticated to worry about their survival IMHO. We only caught a few toad tadpoles and sadly they all died mysterious deaths not long after morphing. I know that I was doing everything right because the frogs got the same treatment and they all thrived. (everything was/is separated) The frogs are Cope's Grey Tree Frogs and they don't grow as large as the ones in FL. They get about 2 1/2" max. Their call is a series of short tweerrrrrrrrrp sounds and I find it soothing myself actually. I "rescued" them as tadpoles from a cattle trough. I use the term "rescue" loosely because most of them were actually getting sucked up, especially if there was more than one cow drinking at once. After they morphed I made sure they were just large enough to hopefully survive and released all but 5 back into the wild. Here is an EXCELLENT website that gives info on TN wildlife and even has the mating calls of the indigenous frogs and toads. It has information on most of the wildlife here, but I haven't looked at anything other than the amphibian and reptile sections lol http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/

Hayley absolutely LOVES the turtles and can't get enough. I make sure that she doesn't pet them without washing her hands before and after, though. She loves the frogs and loved the toads too, but nothing compares to the turtles now lol. She is firm in wanting to keep the frogs, though. We released the toads in order to prepare for and be able to get the turtles as their situation was very sad (not to mention that I absolutely love turtles). She was ok releasing the toads just because she wanted the turtles lol. We haven't stocked her GloFish aquarium yet so I don't know how they'll compare to the turtles. She has seen GloFish and likes them, but I don't see anything beating the turtles for favorite lol.
pmkls1

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Naaaah she can't touch or hold the fish..lol I will check out that site for sure.. No frogs here,, its way too dry.. I miss all the water in FL.. I worry that even in trying to build outdoor pond we won't be able to dig far.. a lot of rock under the ground here.. May have to be above ground pond out of necessity..

tried to raise tadpoles several times as a kid.. with no success.. then when I had little ones like Hayley,, I decided to try again so they could see how tadpoles turn into frogs.. Daily I walked 1/4 of a mile to get fresh water for the tadpoles from the pond they came out of.. never thinking of feeding them fish flakes.. all the tadpoles got their legs.. but only two of the dozen or so we had lost their tails and became frogs.. I released those two where I found the tadpoles.. but they were tiny who knows if they made it.. but it was nice to finally have success after many many failed attemps..lol

Monarch butterflies are much easier to raise and just as satisfying..lol
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:52 am   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Great collection and sweet kid! Turtles look real comfortable around her too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:48 pm   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Thanks, the turtles are fairly personable and comfortable with being touched. They spook and dash into the water bouncing off of the sides of the tank like a pinball from time to time, but most of the time they just watch closely as we walk by. They don't like being taken out of the tank and placed on the floor, though. They will just try to bolt and hide under the couch. I only tried putting them in the floor once so it was easier for Hayley to pet them and it seemed like it stressed them out too much so I haven't done so since. The tree frogs technically came from middle TN, but they are indigenous to this part of the state too. It is said that they are often heard, but rarely seen as they are arboreal and almost never leave the canopy. I know I've never seen the adults in the wild before and can only identify them from Grey Tree Frogs by the calls coming from the tree next to the trough. The toad tadpoles completely morphed before slowly dying off for some unknown reason. They were eating and had water and light etc, but they just started keeling over one by one. The frogs had no problems at all and did just fine. These were at separate times too and the toads came first so there is no chance of some sort of illness transmitted to them from other creatures. The frogs are from this year too, but they spawned a couple months after the toads. They are healthy and cute, but you just can't handle them the same as you can a turtle. I handle them daily for feeding and will hold one for a minute or two, but that's the extent of handling just about any amphibian. I will let one sit on Hayley's hand sometimes, but it jumps off after a few seconds. The turtles are by far more enjoyable as a pet for both myself and Hayley. Now, I love fish too as they are quite fun and enjoyable to watch, but you can't just pick 'em up and hold them. She'll enjoy the GloFish because of their brilliant colors, but the turtles will still be #1 I'm sure. I did have a couple more cute frog pics and some old pics from my cichlid days to share though.

"High Four"

pmkls1

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:56 pm   Re: Turtles Toads Frogs and a Kid LOL

Some of my old cichlid tanks.

pmkls1

Return to Photo Gallery