Photo Gallery :: My First attempt at field herping...

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:12 am   My First attempt at field herping...

Went out yesterday afternoon with a friend. Had to be 110 degrees but it didn't seem that hot. Didn't see any turtles. We went at 2pm. Was that too late in the day for turts? After an hour of walking around, I said "please, God, just gimme a frog or something"...then I looked down and there he was. We also saw the biggest deer I've ever seen. I mean this thing was huge. Had to be as long as a car. Didn't get the camera out in time tho because that was when we first got there. Got the mother of all sunburns but it was worth it. Any tips for actually finding a turt next time? Anyway, here are the pics

Anyone want to identify that lil froggie? I have no idea what he is. The area was beautiful but I had to be careful about taking pics. The areas not seen in the pics were covered with garbage and graffitti :evil:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:50 pm   

I'm no expert on frogs, but s/he's a cutie (love the color).

I would think you'd be apt to find more turtles either earlier or later in the day when it's not so hot (although if there's a breeze you'd still probably see some basking). The turtle that laid eggs on the lawn last summer came out on a very late warm afternoon. Has your friend seen turtles at this place before?
Last edited by marisa on Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:13 pm   

Nice scenery, and great picture clarity. :D , I hope you don't mind, I used the first picture as my background, I miss fishing :( :( , salt water though. :D

It's a northern leopard frog, according to this site:
http://www.cortland.edu/herp/keys/frogkey.htm

STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:46 pm   

She's never looked for turts before but she knew the area well so we thought that'd be a good place to start. I think we'll go later in the day in a different location next time. Hopefully better luck then.

King, thanks for the link :wink:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:05 pm   

You're welcome, I have a friend that has a frog board, so I had some inkling of what the frog might be.

There is a frog in Australia that is called a Turtle Frog, it looks like a bull frog that was squashed, you can see it here:
http://www.westernwildlife.com.au/frogs/turtle.htm
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:17 pm   

ick...what a creepy lil thing
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:32 pm   

There is a river that goes through all of MSU, and I see the same turtle families every day on my way home from work when they are out basking. Ill have to get some pictures. Pretty cool to see like 5 of them all different sizes laying out on logs and stuff.
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:42 pm   WoW

Those are really nice pictures! looks like a lovely day out there. This is in canada?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:55 pm   

Yep. Thorold, Ontario, Canada. About 20 min from Niagara falls.
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:28 pm   

jenaero!! good lord it's good to see pics of the old canal locks.. i haven't been there in quite some time. I know exactly where you were too.. :]

I've seen quite a few turtles out Port Dalhousie way.. you right down by the Henley Regatta?? right there.. but on the other side of the main bridge closer to Lake Ontario side.. in the muddy old locks.

speaking of herping. my buddy Dave is desperately calling me ervery day to recount in real time all of the turtles he can see in his back yard.. I'm going to be going to his place sometime soon to take pics.. He lives on Constance Lake up here in Ottawa.

From what he's described so far he sees at any given time about 4 snappers.. 3 or 4 RES and about 6 eastern painted..

and for the other poster.. yes.. we do have nice days WAAAYYY up here in Canada. :]
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:25 am   

Adam, I was wondering when you were gonna pop up. I knew you'd appreciate those pics :) I'll tell her we're goin to Port next time then. Thanks for the tip :D
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:53 am   

when i think of canada i always think of snowy and cloudy. lol didnt realize you guys had a sun up there. Well now i know. :D

:D HAVE A NICE DAY! :D
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:47 am   

nice pictures i love the frog. very pretty :!:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Return to Photo Gallery