Photo Gallery :: Tank setup completed. (The turtles have landed)

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:21 pm   

About the PVC in the tank- I have always wanted to put something like that in the tank for Leo- just something to swim through and under but I've never gotten him anything because I thought it wouldn't be such a good idea to put something in the tank he could get caught under and not be able to get out from under and drown! :( Right now even on his basking dock I have the two bottom suction cups not suctioned to the tank because he looooves to swim (and even do figure eights ;)) in and out of them- it's cute to watch but soon his shell is gonna be to large to fit through and it scares me when he tries to do it- sometimes looks like he's not gonna make it- but if i give him something to swim around in and under do you think that would be safe and would maybe keep him from doing his acrobats through his basking dock bars? lol
Jennifer and Brandon

1 RES- Leo(na) (1 y/o)
1 dog- Boomer (5 y/o)
1 cat- Joey (2 y/o)
JNZBCBnLIL

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:52 pm   

It depends on how large your turt is. Now that PVC pipe is a 4" fitting, and it's weight is pretty substantial. They couldn't possibly get under it, it's just too heavy. And with 3 outlets, no way are they going to get stuck or disoriented. That coffee mug? Not only is that Beaker's favorite hiding spot, but he sits on top of it, and even backs up into it and rubs his butt on the bottom! I've got to get a shot of it, very funny.
Most turts need a place to "hide out", and when they don't have one, that's when they may get into trouble, like squeezing between those poles on the basking ramp. Now I know once Beaker gets bigger, I'm going to have to take away his little "hidey hole" but by then I'll have figured on something else to provide him. Don't be afraid! As long as it's big enough, give it a try. Turts love to explore....

Now an update. I went out to run a few errands, but I left the door by the tank opened, so I could sneak up on them when I returned, and sure enough, all were basking!!! But my camera was in the room on the other side of the tank. So I just walked in and Big Daddy and Beaker shot off the ramp, but Gomez didn't move! He just stuck his head up high and looked around as if to say "Hey. Where'd everybody go??" I walked right up to him and he just looked at me, blinking his eyes..... so I went to get my camera but when I got back he was in the water. :roll: Oh well, I'll get a pic sooner or later. But I'm very happy that they are all basking a little more than twenty four hours after entering their new habitat.... :lol:
grey goose

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:17 pm   

I've given him plants to hide in and he does love to hide in those- but I think I'm going to try something for him to get inside of because I can imagine he'll love that! I really wanna start going to work on making his tank great once I have enough cash to get him a bigger one! I'm really hoping for a 90 gallon like yours! Can you imagine being a little guy in a huge tank like that- he'd be in heaven! He's only a hatchling- about 2 inches and growing fast! I really like the PVC pipe idea or atleast something similar but that will have to wait until I can afford the room for it! :)

p.s. I hope you can catch them basking soon- I'm sure that'll be a great picture!
Last edited by JNZBCBnLIL on Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer and Brandon

1 RES- Leo(na) (1 y/o)
1 dog- Boomer (5 y/o)
1 cat- Joey (2 y/o)
JNZBCBnLIL

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:20 pm   

grey goose wrote:Now that PVC pipe is a 4" fitting, and it's weight is pretty substantial. They couldn't possibly get under it, it's just too heavy.

I wouldn't underestimate RES. They are very strong. My RES who is a 10" female easily moves her cave around. It's a large plastic crate with a 20 pound landscaping rock sitting on top. They are also extremely smart.
Spookster

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:35 pm   

Once they get that big you really have to get creative....but for a 2 incher, try a coffee mug or even a clay pot....it doesnt have to lay on it's side, just place it upright in the corner. Maybe put a few rocks inside it to keep him interested.
grey goose

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:08 pm   

My little guys/girls really love the zoo med floating log. They swim through it and hide behind it and under it, and they sleep on it occasionally. I'm guessing i will have to take it out within the year as they grow, but for now it's great!
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
scripta_elegans

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:14 am   

Wow a 90 gallon tank. Thats amazing. You've really given me some ideas though. I just love the suction cup things you used for the lettuce and carrots.
WeirdMeta

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:42 am   

the setup looks amazing! i love the docking/basking platforms. how do you create that waterfall effect or do you have some kind of waterfall in the background? and how big is the tank? awesome job!
ninja_turtle

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:33 pm   

WeirdMeta wrote:Wow a 90 gallon tank. Thats amazing. You've really given me some ideas though. I just love the suction cup things you used for the lettuce and carrots.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ct ... eggieclips

I don't like the clown fish clips. You can't open them wide without breaking them...The clips I use open wide and really grip tight, plus the suction cups are excellent...and their cheaper too. :)
grey goose

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:49 pm   

ninja_turtle wrote:the setup looks amazing! i love the docking/basking platforms. how do you create that waterfall effect or do you have some kind of waterfall in the background? and how big is the tank? awesome job!

Thanks! actually, that's an air stone placed behind the PVC pipe. The bubbles run up thru the leaves....Unless your talking about the air stone hidden in the rocks....that was a time-lapse shot using actual lighting....The tank is an All Glass 90 gallon.

Here's a shot of the bubbles using a flash.

grey goose

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:09 pm   

george likes to sit under his turtle dock and pop all of the bubbles by trying to eat them as they accumulate under the dock from the filters :lol:
3 turts 2 eastern painted and 1 RES
Andrew7769

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:36 pm   

I try to run them for only short periods of time. I think they are making Beaker nervous. But then, everything makes the poor guy nervous....I noticed Gomez sort of hanging off the resting area by his back legs and bobing with the bubbles, so he dosen't seem to mind. :)
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:55 am   

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but what is the air stone thing for?
WeirdMeta

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:06 am   

It's main function is to agitate the water, and loosen the "surface tension". This way some of the floating stuff may sink and get taken up into the filter. It also breaks up the slick you may notice on the surface. I'm keeping the output nozzles on the filters below the surface, for better overall circulation. They will also help oxygenate the water. (Is that a real word? Whew, I gotta get to bed.) Plus it looks nice. :)
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:39 am   

Ahh, I may have to get me one of these. Thanks for telling me where I can purchase those clips.
WeirdMeta

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery