Photo Gallery :: Tank setup completed. (The turtles have landed)

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:11 pm   

marisa wrote:If they're getting too much protein, cutting back would be good. Making sure they get enough calcium would be good as well. (Don't mean to change the topic from the original one---it is a lovely set-up. I like how you've taken the time to add the greenery).

Thanks!
That's one of the really hard parts about having multiple turts in one tank, making sure everybody gets their fair share. If I feed them all together in the tank, it's like a mini-riot! Lots of splashing and pushing. And Beaker always comes out on top, with the most pellets. Hand feeding helps, but sometimes they charge at my fingers...that's not gonna work once they get bigger. Gomez is the only one who is really agreeable to eating separately, he'll actually run up the basking ramp and try to climb into the container! B.D. hates it, and sometimes he won't eat anything. And Beaker acts like he's having a heart attack! But when I put them all together in a separate container, like for water changes or if I'm feeding them crickets or some other messy treat, all will eat, but then I'm right back where I started!
So my strategy right now is Gomez in the container on the ramp (I've got to get a pic of that, very funny), then I lure B.D. over by the resting ramp, and feed him there, and at the same time I put Beaker's pellets among that hanging plant, so it takes him a bit longer to find and eat. I swear it's like kids fighting over candy!!
Also there's always 4-5 pieces of cuttlebone floating around....they all partake of that stuff in peace. :roll:
grey goose

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:24 pm   

I've got somewhat of a similar problem with 2 painteds in the same tank (which used to be 3). In the past, I would take out the other/s and feed one, then take that on out and put another one in, etc., until they were all fed. Now with the two, I get one interested in a few pellets on one side of the tank, and when he's chasing them down, I give the other his pellets in another area. This would be perhaps too hard to do with more than two, though.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:24 pm   

Muirner wrote:goose - did the air pump make a bunch of noise when you turned it on hence driving them nuts What about if you put it on a cloth folded up so it had a buffer between that and the wood...

I'm thinking about getting the super luft air pump http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_air ... sp?CartId= either the sl-38 or the sl-65... anyone seen these in use???

Actually it has rubber feet so it makes no contact with the wood...very quiet. I think some turts may get a sort of "sensory overload" from the moving water....
That is some air pump! You can run multiple tanks with that!
grey goose

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:29 pm   

the reason i'm looking into that is, i can slow down the air flow, for more or less bubbles... Also i want to be able to have the option for a protein skimmer (i dont think regular air pumps will cut it???)

Its either spend 30$ on a 100gal pump from PetSmart, or get that for 59$.... unsure still, but i'd love to get some bubbles going sooner or later (it'll allow for "privacy")... what do you knotice about the air stones breaking down? I hear every month a replacement is in order...
"Go all out or dont go out at all" - Muirner

R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:15 pm   

I think air stones seem to clog up faster in salt water tanks, there is also a procedure to clean them involving bleach and hot water...
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/fishph ... irston.htm

I don't have any experience with protien skimmers, but I know you need a relativly strong pump for them. As far as regulating airflow, you can get one of those plastic in-line regulators for about a buck....Also some airstones produce bigger bubbles, like the ceramic ones, and some produce a "fizz" (wooden ones).
grey goose

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:51 pm   

Thanks for the link goose.. I'm trying to get my ex-g/f (whom i adopted them from) to pay for half the pump as an early "christmas" present. Thisway i can get a skimmer (if i do so wish) or just have 4 easy access oulets, and i can put my other tank on the stand near it...

R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:34 pm   

lol... make your ex gf pay turtle support hehe
¨*:·.-:¦:- Jessica -:¦:-·:*¨
Female RES, Karlyn AKA "Moochie" :mrgreen:
Hoooneylynn

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:47 pm   

lol, i wish... She is good though, she will bring down brine shrimp, and she just paid for the last bunch of plants i got (1 anacris, 1 banana, and 1 green fern, along with 8 guppies, and 4 ghost shrimp)...

I just foot the bill on everything else, tank, filter, heater, food, docks... and i worry about them every day too.... so that has to count for something...

R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:52 am   

i dont understand your tunber ware thing. and how did you make the ramps?
retard

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:37 pm   

i think its pretty well repersented in his earlyer posts :roll:
3 turts 2 eastern painted and 1 RES
Andrew7769

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:51 pm   

retard wrote:i dont understand your tunber ware thing. and how did you make the ramps?

The Tupperware containers just hold the rocks in place when the turts are digging (which they love to do). I put holes in the bottom so when I lift them out, the water drains back into the tank. Then all I do is rinse them in tap water.
The ramp construction was probably the hardest part of the whole setup. If done incorrectly, it could be catastrophic! I don't recommend you attempt it, unless you know what you're doing. I had sent pictures to an adhesive expert and even he thought I was "pushing the envelope" as far as the design goes. I'm experimenting with a different adhesive/material now, and if successful, I'll let you know.....
Here's my other post on this design:
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6143
grey goose

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:40 pm   

I'm guessing what looks like a waterfall almost is the airstone. I am so going to get one of those for my 75 gallon tank. The airstone makes it look so cool.
WeirdMeta

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:20 am   

I found on ebay the good tetra air pumps, for 15$ for the 70 gal one (i think that's the size) And that's buy it now. Check ebay before you buy in the store.

R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:51 pm   

As Napoleon Dynamite would say....

"You got a sweet setup. Basking dock, fake plants..............LUCKY!!!"

Lol

Anyway, Great job!!! Here a tidbit of info, be careful of the rocks though, a turtle may swallow one or may get injured. That's what someone else in the forum to me.
Chris = )

2 RES Shea and Delgada
(R.I.P. Beltran 1/21/07)

2 Peach-Faced Lovebirds Napoleon & Veronica

And some fish!!!!!!
FanOfTurts

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:53 pm   

fanofturts - The reason that the rocks were suggested to be removed, is because i assume you had fish tank rocks, that are small. If the rocks are smaller then your turtles head then you have an issue. Goose has some larger rocks in his setup.

R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery