Photo Gallery :: Meet Turquoise!!!

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:08 am   Meet Turquoise!!!

Finally I am loading these pictures of Turquoise, our 17 mo old son's RES, who was named after Blue's pet turt (from the Blues Clues show on Nick Jr)

This is her first setup, well, the first setup we made for her, a 20 gal tank with a 40 gal submersible Whisper filter (we added a 20 gal filter to that and have one on order, waiting to get it in!!) And a UVB light in the back of the tank (the coiled bulb)

another view, she is on the basking dock, and we added water to the tank to make it a lil bit deeper

Turq on the filter.... it was so funny I ran to get the camera, and then she fell in and my husband had to fish her out (no danger though, the motor is encased on the bottom)

Turq on her basking platform, the Zoo Med one, hubby wants to get something else because it takes up so much room in the tank

Turq in hubby's hand, she was about 1 1/2", now about 2"

Another pic, she struggled with swimming in the first couple of days because of the crappy 1/2" of water she lived with before we got her, so we had a little hill for her made out of river rocks and pebbles until she got used to it. and YES, THE ROCKS ARE AT LEAST AS BIG AS HER HEAD!!! WE READ THE STICKYS!!!!!!!!! haha

Okay, that turned out kinda long, thanks for looking!!!
Last edited by JnK Acopan on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
=o) Jared & Kelli
JnK Acopan

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:44 am   

cute little turt. :) how did she get onto the top of the filter?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:10 pm   

i see that for your basking light u use one of those heaters that do not emit light..... im not sure if im right but if u have one of those lamps as a basking light it is not wise becuz my cuzin had that exact heat lamp and he had a chameleon ... one day the light just burnt out but u cannot tell becuz it doesnt show light unless u check the heat everyday but i think the bulb is best for basking ... and unfortunately the chameleon died :cry:
Mr.Turtle - 8.0" (female)
mitchy04

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:50 pm   

Gouz - We had a piece of driftwood laying against the front side of the filter, to help the water trickle down from the filter into the tank instead of splashing and making lots of noise. She climbed to the top of that, right under the stream of water and just climbed on in!!!!!!!

Mitchy - Our basking light is actually a UVB bulb, so it emits light but doesn't emit any heat. The temp here in hawaii has been in the mid 80's, so we haven't been in a real rush to get a heating source for Turq. She still basks everyday under the UVB and eats the same and swims all over the place, so we're not too concerned.
=o) Jared & Kelli
JnK Acopan

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:54 pm   

nice pics! you can use a regular light bulb for the basking area.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:10 am   

Nice setup, I am sure your turtle is very happy, I too think you should get a regular light bulb, especially if you have him/her in an airconditioned room, since the ambient temp. is around 80 deg., it should be ok to leave the bulb off at night, but I would still put in a heat source, I have a ceramic heater lamp for constant heat, our airconditioned temp. is around 70 to 75 deg. and the water temp. is around 80, I keep the basking lamp on all the time, and I check about once a week to see if the heater is working ok.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:52 pm   

Thanks.... Working on the light, and no, we don't have AC. so it's the regular temp that's around 84 or so. If I had AC the temp in our room would always be at 70!!!

We are looking to upgrade soon, might have to move a bigger tank to a different area, so we want to know our setup first before we get a heat source or anything new for our tank. And to save money we want to use some kind of fixture we have at home.
=o) Jared & Kelli
JnK Acopan

Return to Photo Gallery