Photo Gallery :: Walnut

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:20 am   Walnut

This is my turtle Walnut and her setup.

Walnut

If someone wouldn't mine confirming that she is a female, or not...

I'm pretty sure she is female.

Setup. Its gotten kind of small and I need a UVB light but she is doing fine at the moment. I need to get that stuff though...

Any comments on her set-up as in ways to improve it would be greatly appreaciated by both Walnut and I. :lol:
IshMaster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:22 am   

how big is Walnut? Looks like he/she needs more swimming room. I'd guess on sex for you but I can't tell how big the turtle is from the pics. Generally, they're sexable around 4 or 5 inches.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:31 am   

Well Walnut is about 3 inches. So I guess she isn't sexable. Yes the tank is too small for her and I am trying to get some money saved up for a bigger tank I don't want to have to buy like 5 tanks though in her life span. I would like to just go ahead and buy a big one that will last forever. Plus my uncle has some big tanks he used to have like a ton of tropical fish... so I will find out if I can borrow his for 20 some-odd years. :P 20 years is this turtle's average life span right?
Last edited by IshMaster on Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
IshMaster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:34 am   

actually, they can live 40+ years with good care. They're definetly lifelong pets!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:36 am   

Thats awesome!

Should I take out one of her fake plants? She likes to hid under the big one. She just got moved to this new aquarium so she is like :shock: .
IshMaster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:49 am   

from the tail, your RES looks female to me :)

and be careful, she looks like she can climb out of there.

also, the stand looks like a tv stand? i wouldn't place a tank on one.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:52 am   

Nope its a aquarium stand. A ugly seventies looking round thing used to sit up there a LONG LONG time ago before I was born... lol. But its good and about the climbing out should I lower the water level? I can't get a lid on there without making the heater touch the turtle dock and I'm sure that would involve melting plastics...
IshMaster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:56 am   

i would personally lower it. my RES love to climb but not every RES have the same instincts.

maybe just add a barrier of some sort so she wouldn't be able to grab on to anything.

you can buy or make a screen for the top of your tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:02 pm   

Judging by our own guys' superb climbing abilities, it's almost definite that Walnut can stand up on the basking dock and pull him/herself up past the "tipping point" and fall out. Especially if one hind leg gets onto the suction cup. I would lower the water level by an inch or so to be safe.

Great pics, btw, super-sharp!
diyabolo

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:36 pm   

Thanks I stole my dad's camera. He got it for Christmas last tear from his office. I was like :shock: mine! This year he got a Bose Radio. =-P His office people rock. Thanks for the adivice I will go lower the water right now. She hasn't gone on the turtle dock yet but better safe than sorry.
IshMaster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:51 pm   

another option instead of lowering the water, why not move the basking dock to the back of the tank if its against the wall.. unless I'm mistaken .. turtles can't climb walls.

Oh and btw, where'd you get the nice piece of drift wood in there?? I'm looking for new decorations but having a really hard time finding things that look natural and don't cost my first born child.. oh wait, that would be flutterby.. never mind :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:29 pm   

UmmI don'y have a piece of driftwood in there. I did but I got rid of it because my turtle flipped it when she tried to get on top of it.

I got the dock from PetCo and the fake plants in there from WalMart =-P. I got the tank there too.

The reason I don't want to move it to the back is because the stuff is too crowded back there and I am afraid the heater will melt the dock. And the heater can't go in the front because then the cord goes across the tank and my mom will freak because she still wants it to look nice and neat and go with the decoration. -cough-
Walnut- Pet for Five Years; Age Uknown; 3 1/4 Inches; Female
IshMaster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:39 pm   

ok, maybe its not driftwood, but there's a stump/wood looking thing right in front of the heater.. that's what I meant.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:08 am   

If you are talking about the thing circled in to the picture I got it from Wal-Mart the plant is attached to it. Also the smaller one next to it if also from there.

Walnut- Pet for Five Years; Age Uknown; 3 1/4 Inches; Female
IshMaster

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:26 pm   

Yep thats what she was talking about, I looked at walmart for her and couldn't find any.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Next

Return to Photo Gallery