Other Turtle Discussion :: Moving out (hopefully) soon!

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 pm   Moving out (hopefully) soon!

Ola ! :D
I will soon move out of my parents' and will go to my own place. I already know where my turtles tank is going. But I really want to change the setting a bit. I'm not going to do a new basking area entirely, I just want to change the mat I glued on the glass and all. I'm not sure what to put though! Oh well I'll figure it out.

Anyway, I'll need to put them somewhere for 2-3 days before the tank is ready. Obviously I won't buy another temporary tank so I was wondering if putting them in a bassin like this (http://turanplastic.com/upload/urunler/86/02.jpg) is fine? I will put some kind of rock in the middle. I mean, they won't like it, but idk what else to do. :?:
PokePony

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 pm   Re: Moving out (hopefully) soon!

Something like that will be ok for a few days. You have Shellby and Shelldon what now two years ? Your girls should have some size by now , haven't seen a photo in some time. Please post some once settled in , Piggley want's to say Hi !

Just make sure the sides are high enough to prevent escape. Can not tell from picture how high it is. Have an old 21 or30 gallon tote would work , they have higher sides ? Maybe could find one at a dollar store cheap . Have an old ice chest that could work without the lid ? It would be insulated and help control the temp's maybe better. Whatever you use a dark color would make them feel more comfortable or something opaque. Also have whatever you use weighted down , if both are standing up on the same side it could tilt over.

Still looking into and outdoor pond for the girl's ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm   Re: Moving out (hopefully) soon!

Congrats on the move! I use some totes from IKEA when I need to keep my turtles out of the tank. They're tall enough that they can't escape and I can fill enough water in there that they can't flip over and not have room to flip over. Each turtle has their own tote.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 am   Re: Moving out (hopefully) soon!

litefoot wrote:Something like that will be ok for a few days. You have Shellby and Shelldon what now two years ? Your girls should have some size by now , haven't seen a photo in some time. Please post some once settled in , Piggley want's to say Hi !

Yep, two years! I don't see them grow a lot but my friends tell me otherwise ahah! I will take pictures of them when I'll move, hopefully next month!

litefoot wrote:Just make sure the sides are high enough to prevent escape. Can not tell from picture how high it is. Have an old 21 or 30 gallon tote would work , they have higher sides ? Maybe could find one at a dollar store cheap . Have an old ice chest that could work without the lid ? It would be insulated and help control the temp's maybe better. Whatever you use a dark color would make them feel more comfortable or something opaque. Also have whatever you use weighted down , if both are standing up on the same side it could tilt over.

Thank you for your suggestions and advices! I will keep them in mind! I don't think I can find something very deep, but in our hunting lodge we do have some kind of long rectangular container made out of fibre glass. Again, not very deep but at least they will have space.

litefoot wrote:Still looking into and outdoor pond for the girl's ?

Not really, I do keep it in my mind but I think I've looked into it enough for now. :)

steve wrote:Congrats on the move! I use some totes from IKEA when I need to keep my turtles out of the tank. They're tall enough that they can't escape and I can fill enough water in there that they can't flip over and not have room to flip over. Each turtle has their own tote.

Oooh that's clever! Thank you, I will be sure to test this idea! :D
PokePony

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 am   Re: Moving out (hopefully) soon!

If whatever you find is to shallow hopefully it has a lid. You can cut out the center leaving a few inches around the edges to form an escape proof lid. If no lid available use wood , plastic , egg crate any material that's easy to cut. Use container as a template measure in a few inches and cut out center for a DIY safety lid. You could make the whole thing a little bigger than container so it can just sit on top or make some simple clamps to attach it.
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 14415 times
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm   Re: Moving out (hopefully) soon!

Rubbermaid container, or similar. They are always on sale, 5-10$ and would be larger and have a lid for security if needed, add air holes at least, plus good for aquarium storage after.
Mikeysparents

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:29 am   Re: Moving out (hopefully) soon!

@litefoot: Ooooh clever!

@Mikeysparents: Rubbermaid isn't a thing here, this is why I was looking for some ideas :)
PokePony

Return to Other Turtle Discussion