Other Turtle Discussion :: trust?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:57 pm   trust?

how do i get t my turtles to i guees you could say trust me more. like say i walk out of the room when i come back in i hear them jump in the water like there trying to hide from me. ive had them for like 2 months, do they still ned more time.?
louie&rascal01

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:05 pm   

I've had mine for a year.. and they still do it. Sometimes if you do it more slowly they won't jump!!
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:25 pm   

A lot depends on the personality of your turtle too... Reyna will bask no matter what if she wants, I could run around the room and she would just lay up there, Orion on the other hand, if I am even in the room wont go up there... the only way I know he does is if I fall asleep watching TV he doesnt realize I am there and will go up and bask until I wake up and then right back in the water.
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:47 pm   

It's pretty much instinctive to jump in the water to get away from perceived predators (and the sliding into the water is why sliders are call sliders). My RES for the most part won't move if he's basking and I'm the one walking around the room/approaching his tank. But, if he perceives something out of the ordinary (I'm hold a large unfamilar object, for example) or if someone else comes near him, he scurries into the water.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:27 am   

My turt will stay in his basking spot no matter who is in the room and he begs when ever i stand over his tank
TurtleMan17

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:40 pm   

I agree with marisa, it is pretty much an instinct thing, unlike cats and dogs, turtles are more prey than predator, they are always on the lookout for something that might eat them, or at the very least, hurt them, so they are constantly on the lookout, eventually they get used to you coming over to feed them or talk to them, ofcourse, if you make any sudden movements, their instinct will kick in. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Return to Other Turtle Discussion