Other Turtle Discussion :: odd behavior staring/wiggling

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:31 pm   odd behavior staring/wiggling

I have two turtles, I went to look at them today and witnessed a very odd behavior. Both turtles were facing off, they each had both of their front feet directly stright out, along side of their head, with the tip of their faces touching and for lack of a better description, they appeared to be wiggling at each other. They both replicated this behavior so closely, it almost appeared one was looking at his reflection in a mirror? I've never seen this behavior in the past as they have generally ignored each other. Yet a few days ago, I saw them both sleeping together in a plastic plant I have in the tank.

There are two young turtles, I've had both for about 2 months. Any idea of what this behavior may indicate.

Thank you in advance
babydoll

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:35 pm   

Thats normal - if your turtles are old enough it could be part of the mating process but more likely just normal behavior. Our turtles do it every so often, but I do not think they have actually done any mating as of yet. I have heard 4-5 years old before actual mating begins.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:37 pm   

It could be as RES Tampa said.. they are doing the mating dance, or it could be a territorial dispute. Does one seem to be more dominant than the other?? Mine did it for the first time in the year I've had them, just the other day... it was so darn cute. But either way, its very normal behavior.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:28 pm   

I've only had them for two months, purchased at the pet store, so they are still quite young. One is about 2" and 28 grams the other about 1.5" and 12 grams.

They seem to be fine with each other, I've seen them lie together in the same plastic plant, witnessed them on the basking dock together, the small one even climbed on top of the big one on the basking dock.

I have put a tank seperator for feeding time. The large turtle will eat all the food before the small one has a chance, so I put the small one in the seperated area to eat. the seperated area is approx 1/7 of the entire tank.

I do however need a larger tank. I have been looking for a good deal on a 55+ gallon. They are currently sharing a 10 gallon.
babydoll

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:15 pm   

The fact that they're both in a 10 gallon tank (small space) and one is more dominant than the other is a good formula for displays of dominance. Although this may be "normal" behavior in such a situation, it would be good not to let it escalate or at least minimize the chance of its doing so. Putting them in a bigger tank/container (at least a 40 gallon, but remember they'll grow so go bigger if you can) fairly soon would be good.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion