Other Turtle Discussion :: What was your turtle doing when you saw him/her for the ...

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:57 pm   

I was on vacation in Florida, and my grandparents took me to this flee market. I was so bored untill we walked by a little stang with about 100 hatchlings. I imedietly started begging my parents saying "its only five dollars" lol. I took the one swimming on the rock (I thought it was cool because it wasnt afraid). Then the next day my mom went back and bought a secound one. We named them romeo and juliet.

Unfortunatly Romeo, who wasnt brave, just sick, didnt make his first year. But juliet is as healthy as can be.

My parents still bring up how I said they would only be $5 lol, I just spent over 200 on my new setup. =)
Pito007

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:18 pm   

I got my turtle last year from my boyfriend for x-mas. I love turtles always have, I even had one tattooed on my ankle last fall. So he surprised me with one. He and his family hide it from me for a week before x-mas, until he could not wait any more and gave him to me the day before Christmas Eve. A tank, lights, filter, food and everything. I was so excited I watched him for hours just swimming. Then we took him home and got him set up at my house. It took me three days to name him, I finally named him after a sea monster in my favorite book as a kid. Last I even took him back and forth to college with me. He is now living a in 75 gallon tank in the finished basement of my house. Recently I bought a Russian Tort, to further my turtle obsession.
1 RES 6" Male-Alphonse
1 Russian Tortoise 4" Female-Noodles
1 RES 4"-Mr. Turtle (Until I find a better name me thinks)
1 Gerbil -Sookie
1 Hamster- Spock
2 Cats-Ling and Draco
1 Pug-Moggy

"Blessed Be."
PinkyTurtle

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:48 pm   

I met my first 2 babies when my sister brought them home in a little plastic container from the vets office where she worked, someone had left them on the porch at night in their little container with 2 bottles of food on top. I had always wanted a turtle but it's illegal to sell hatchings in Pennsylvania for anything but educational purposes. They moved with me to Tennessee when I left 3 days later.
My newest baby Tex, I saw when I went home to PA to visit, and stopped at the local pet store. He was fast asleep on the basking area with his head on his foot. He was the tiniest in the tank of about 40. I immediately decided he was mine, and since I'm now a kindergarten teacher, I could buy him! He flew home with me in my purse and now lives with my other guys. He still sleeps with his head on his foot too. Its the cutest thing ever.
Amg81083

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:01 am   

I never was a turtle lover (or so I thought at the time) but my husband was out golfing one day at our country club and Franklin had crawled on the green, so he brought him home. We kept him in a shoe box for about 3 days because we didn't know anything about turtles. As I got to researching them on the internet I found him to be a RES so here he had been out of water for this long and nothing to eat. He was such a little fella, and oh so cute. needless to say, our "free" turtle has ended up so far costing around $300 but to me its been worth it. We have just fell in love with him and he is now up to 4-14" long and in a 55 gallon tank. We discovered alot thru trial and error, but he is a very healthy and happy turtle!
1 RES - Franklin, 5-1/4"
2 very spoiled cats, Lil Bit (14 lbs) and Kitty (12 lbs)
2 very cute hamsters, Tom and Jerry
dghenson7445

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:36 pm   

i was at home playing wow, when my dad told me an aquaintence of his is giving away their 50gal tank and he needed me to come help him carry it. i was a bit lazy but i decided to go. we got there and the tank was left outside. the water was barely 3 inches high and was murky green and smelled like crap. there was hard water stains all over the tank.

i looked inside and was surprised to see two sliders! one male one female. i took them out and watched them as my father cleaned the tank a bit. right then i noticed that one of them was more active than the other, i came to name him Todo =P. my sister named the other Squirt. im glad that i rescued them! i like watching them.
RicharDC4

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:39 pm   

I remember it was the night of my 9th birthday in the middle of december. My dad took me out to a Pet store where I imediatly went to a 10 gallon tank where these little turtles about 3" long were swimming around. I don't know how I knew, but I remember staring at those little turtles and knowing exactly which one I wanted. I took him home between two peices of a styrofoam box.
~Becky
beforemyway

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:01 am   

I was at Petsmart looking at the frog tanks and thought that maybe I'd want to set one up. I had a 30 gallon nice fish tank at home...

The next day I went to work and a friend of mine said "Do you want a turtle? My brother is away at college and my mom is sick of taking care of it." So I figured, frogs.. turtles.. what's the difference?

She said I didn't need anything- they had food and the whole set up. That night she text'ed me a picture of the 10 gallon tank with a rock, and 2 inches of water. I did some research and realized that wasn't good enough. :) I set up the 30 gallon and put my fish in an extra tank my mom had.

Once the tank was ready, I sent her a pic of it, and her brother said "That water is too deep! He'll drown!"

Anyway- I got him a few days later in a shoebox with newspaper and here we are today.

He went from a 10 gallon, to a 29 gallon, and now a 55 gallon mansion. :)
kgielda

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:41 pm   

I have 9 res dont remember how i got them all or what they were doin when i first got them but i love them all they are amazing.
SPINNERSMA

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:25 pm   

When I saw rexi she was just hanging out on a basking area at petco just kind of chilling. We brought her home in a plastic case with a little bit of water in it because we didnt like the look of the little box the guy was going to stick her in.
Vtolds

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:04 pm   

November,2007...I'm back in NYC for the weekend.The air is thick with the sweet smell of roasted duck and ciggarete smoke.A friend walks with me though Canal ST. Our mission,Get some new paint markers. I chinese man points at me,finger twitching,time for a bargin. On the line some creature in a small green tank with half an inch of water. The money is burning a hole in my pocket. $10 a turtle he says. Turtle? This could be fun. My friend pleads with me to leave it alone. The cold air on my lips.Its over $20 bucks for the turtles and a bottle of food. Clueless I wrap them up,and walk away 3 hours on the cold streets finaly,even a colder home. Remove them examine them,No names yet.They find there way into a cooker filled with luke warm water.The adventure begins ........
Straight from the 13th chamber
GThiele93

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:01 am   

I bought my turtle on a complete whim. I was in China Town in New York, browsing all the stands when i saw a woman buying a baby turtle from a man. I asked him how much it cost and he said 8 bucks, so I snatched one up in a second. I thought he would be the perfect gift for my boyfriend. I didn't get to pick my turtle out, the man just scooped him out of a tank filled with about 30 others hatchlings and put him into a small tote with about a half inch of water. I was instantly attached to the little guy. I took him back to my hotel, but I wasn't even sure if my turtle could swim so I put him in the bathtub (not the smartest thing I now know) with the front end having water and the back end dry. He didn't eat his pellets that I bought him for the two days I was in New York, but I tried my best to make sure he was comforable. He then endured a train ride in his tote, hidden in a black plastic bag that I held in my lap the whole time. As soon as I was off the train I made sure to take him out of the bag and make sure he was alive (the train ride lasted 3 hours ): ) As soon as I knew he wasalive I hopped into the car and off to PetCo I went! My boyfriend and I actually asked 3 people there for help, to only have one of them actually try to help us. I had no idea how old he was, what kind of turtle he was, if he even LIEKD water.. I was so confused. But the employee at PetCo got us off on a good start, although I learned later it wasn't necessarily all true. Once we got home we set up Little Turtles new tank, with nice warm water. I was so relieved to see him eat that first night home. I must say the adventure was worth it. (:
1 RES: Little Turtle
1 Mali Uromastyx: Mr. Uromastyx
3 Cats: Big Kitten, Little Kitten, Baby Kitten
Sarah89

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 am   

You guys are going to hate me after this post.

I was 12 when I had my first pair of hatchlings, whom I named Tarzan and Jane based on shell size(Tarzan the bigger one). Jane died soon after, I can't even remember how. An uncle later gave me 4 more bigger ones who had their own names which i really can't remember now either.

We had a jolly time together, me and my turts. I guess they were more toys than pets to me. We lived in a tropic country at that time so the turtles lived an outdoors life in a sheltered corner of the garden, with only enough water to "drink out of". Every evening I would feed them (at least i was responsible with their feeding) and take them out of their corner. Kids next door would come, there were about 6 of us, and we would fill up a huge bucket with water and give the turts "diving lessons".

Then we would tie them up in strings(mid shell. I was careful not to hurt them) and let them walk all about the place while we held the other end of the string and pretended we were walking dogs.

I guess the turts really didn't like us that much...

I had them for a couple of years, where despite that weird (but we were really kind to them) treatment, they actually thrived. When I was 18 i had to leave home for another country and mum, who was not too thrilled about having my clumsy brother take care of 5 turtles, gave them back to some pet shop.

I guess I was really not a very good owner to them. They were more toys to me than pets... :p

So anyway. I'm 22 now and the maternal instinct has kicked in. I got me Fattie and Roundie from the pets market in September,nothing special about our first encounter, they just looked prettier than the rest of the tired-looking lot, and have been taking good care of them.

Love was special. She was given to me by a friend to whom Love was given, as a birthday gift. The tiny thing was perched on top of a filter in a tank full of goldfish, apparently to tired to swim. She was trying to fight the strong watter current from the filter that threatened to sweep her back into the depths of the tank, and I took her in immediately.
Roundie - 4cm
Fattie - 3.8cm
Love - 4cm
april zephyr

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:02 pm   

Mine is a boring story. I got mine out of a tank that had like 7 RESs. I chose the one that would quit moving and a more laid back one. And now it seems the laid back one is a female that will bathe ALL DAY
A mighty oak is the result of a nut that stood its ground
Xait

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:37 pm   

well i wanted my turtle for 3 days before i got him i traded my freind a nitendo 64 for a res he gave me one of those little turtle lagoon things and the water in it was descusting and he was like he likes it likes it like that so i was like yea right der da der and i broght him home and put him my old corn snake agrium (he died :cry: ) and put two inches of waterwith a plastic bowl to bask on with my pythons nihgt like on him and thats my story
DIANTE

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 pm   

I was the total sterotype of a person who should not do things on a wim...

I got up one morning, and decided "I need a pet". I wanted a reptile, looked at some pictures, very little reading and decided I wanted a turtle.

Went down to the pet store, told him i'd take a turtle. I only had 50$ cash with me, not thinking it would be expensive.

He told me I needed to get a large tank in the future, but my 20 gallon spare would be fine for a few months. Asked if I had UVB/UVA lighting, and a heat lamp. I told him I had a UVA/UBV light (lied)...Told him I needed a heat light, he got me one and a bulb...it was over 50$ but gave it to me anyway since it was all I had.

Instantly fell in love, did more research, found this site and got a 2nd RES not knowing they arnt good together,.and invested a crap load of money into a 70 gallon tank, a new filter, proper lighting, and a turtle dock. Eventually made an out of tank basking area...a luckily my two turtles (now almost a year and a half old) are fine together so far.
DocShay

PreviousNext

Return to Other Turtle Discussion