Other Turtle Discussion :: Feeder Guppiers having kids.

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:07 pm   Feeder Guppiers having kids.

I've got 4 feeder guppies in my tank, 3 females and 1 male. I noticed several weeks ago that one my very small feeder guppies was very very large. I read somewhere that guppies 3 months older and up can start breeding. Well I thought nothing of it. Well yesterday I noticed I saw a baby guppy swimming around. She looks a whole lot thinner, yet there is only one baby. It's really cool though.

Has anyone seen guppies breeding this young?
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:17 pm   

My guppies breed all the time but I never know how old they are. The babies get eaten either by the bigger guppies or by the turtles. 3 females to 1 male is a good ratio. I have to get more females in there because I've got 1 female and 6 males and they're harrassing her.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:23 pm   

I've just never seen them bred that young. At one point I had tons of babies, but they died when we moved. I was going to raise them a little longer and then sell them.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:08 pm   

Whats the difference between male and female feeder guppies ( besides that 1 is male and 1 is female) :lol:
LIFE IS LIKE A TURTLE. I DON'T KNOW HOW. IT JUST IS. I DON'T HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS. IM JUST A KID. SO DROP IT.
turtlezilla

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:16 pm   

lol just that... well males tend to have more color.. in the fancy guppies they have very pretty fins.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:52 pm   

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
sorry i was eating spaghetti-o's :lol: . Oh Tanx
LIFE IS LIKE A TURTLE. I DON'T KNOW HOW. IT JUST IS. I DON'T HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS. IM JUST A KID. SO DROP IT.
turtlezilla

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:39 pm   

turtlezilla wrote:Whats the difference between male and female feeder guppies ( besides that 1 is male and 1 is female) :lol:

You can also tell, the top fins on females are like triangles. Males, their top fins are curved.

The male as now disappeared, not sure what happened to him, but atleast he did his job.
TexasJagsFan

Return to Other Turtle Discussion