Other Turtle Discussion :: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:56 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

I live in nothern Kentucky and it is not legal to sell RES; however, the bigger pet stores actually sell them.

In Ohio, they are legal to sell; however, if you want to purchase a RES (and several other types of reptiles), you must have a permit to do so.
skbyrd09

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:36 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

In the US? Generally yes but there are loop holes and the laws are not strictly enforced.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:20 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

it has recently become illegal to sell RES in BC due to people releasing them and them eatting everything in creeks,river etc.
luckily i got mine JUST before this had happend so i have the last legaly sold RES in my city.
sx2r

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:53 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

The only thing illegal here in Texas is turtles under 4 inches. Which is pretty common in the US
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:12 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

They're legal here in Massachusetts. I don't think the wild ones are protected, but I'm not sure.
AllTheCandies

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

This is interesting cause it's alittle different for us, cause I live on an island :| . About four or five years back, the pet stores used to sell R.E.S(though invasive) at pretty much any size, as well as our native DiamondBack Terrapins, 3" and up if I remember right. Now the pet store doesn't sell R.E.S anymore, as they are far too numerous and have pretty much over run the DiamondBacks.
So now neither R.E.S or DiamondBacks are sold in the store.
It's not necessarily against the law to take a R.E.S from the wild, but if you try to put one back, you can get slapped with a fine of like 100-200$ depending on the size. It's illegal to take a DiamondBack from its habitat as they are rare here, though our aquarium has a few. Our turtles have adapted to ponds/marshes, since we have no streams/lakes/rivers and have even been spotted in some pollutated water.

Basially, the pet stores don't sell them, but people who have "obtained" them can. Also, your not supposed to intentionally breed your R.E.S, seeing as how we have so much and eggs are asked to be destroyed :( . Any R.E.S that can't be taken care of anymore has to be euthanized(put down).

Hope this helps those who might have been wondering about remote places/islands . P.S- We have giant green sea turtles and tortoises(not wild tortoises though) too that you can interact with but you can't own.(Only small tortoises) Sorry to "awake" an old thread :|
~Pets~
1 RES- Female(Sora)8.5"
1 RES- Male(Teddy)5.5"
~Turtles in Bermuda~
http://www.conservation.bm/diamondback-terrapin/

http://www.conservation.bm/red-eared-slider/
~Spca Bermuda~
http://www.spca.bm/
Sora

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:05 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

In Ontario, Canada, they had banned for the longest time the sale of RES whatever they're size. However, it has been quite a few years now since they lifted that ban. Now RES can be sold freely and to my knowledge, there is no restrictions on the size of the turtle to be sold.

I got my hatchling for 45$ at Big Al's
- Spy and Spy (Zebra danios)
Oliver2011

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:28 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

They are native here in LA and a freaking nuisance
methos75

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:00 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

I was definitely aware that keeping turtles in captivity was sketching the law. So I just got done reading the Missouri code of confined animals.

This is for the state of Missouri

website

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-9.pdf

and cliff notes.

Class one animals ( All nonvenomous reptiles ( even snappers))

3 CSR 10-9.230 Class I Wildlife
PURPOSE: This rule establishes a new category for certain wildlife—wildlife inherently
dangerous to humans and the provisions for
private ownership of these species.
Class I wildlife shall include bullfrogs and
green frogs and birds (including ring-necked
pheasants and gray partridge) native to the
continental United States, and those species
of mammals (except bison and those listed in
3 CSR 10-9.240) and nonvenomous reptiles
and amphibians native to Missouri. Elk
defined as livestock pursuant to the Revised
Statutes of Missouri section 277.020 that are
held separate so as to prevent commingling
with mule deer and white-tailed deer are
exempt from permit requirements.
AUTHORITY: sections 40 and 45 of Art. IV,
Mo. Const. Original rule filed June 9, 1993,
effective Jan. 31, 1994. Amended: Filed June
5, 1996, effective Dec. 30, 1996. Amended:
Filed May 10, 1999, effective March 1, 2000.
Amended: Filed April 24, 2000, effective
March 1, 2001. Amended: Filed Dec. 26,
2002, effective May 30, 2003.

And here is the regulation for Class 2 animals

3 CSR 10-9.240 Class II Wildlife
PURPOSE: This rule identifies those species
that can only be held under provisions of a
Class II wildlife breeder permit.
Class II wildlife shall include copperheads,
cottonmouths, timber rattlesnakes, pygmy
rattlesnakes, massasauga rattlesnakes, mountain lions or mountain lion-hybrids, wolves or
wolf-hybrids and black bears or black bearhybrids.
AUTHORITY: sections 40 and 45 of Art. IV,
Mo. Const. Original rule filed Oct. 6, 1993,
effective Jan. 31, 1994. Amended: Filed June
5, 1996, effective Dec. 30, 1996. Amended:
Filed Sept. 29, 2004, effective Feb. 28, 2005.
3 CSR 10-9.350 Class I Wildlife Breeder
Permit

From my understanding on this is Turtles are nonvenomous and are native to continental US..... So all turtles would be legal in Missouri to own.

My main concern with this was owning a Alligator snapping turtle. They are native to Missouri and I just wanted to double check.
RES - Gator (6 inches) Male
RES - Petunia (5 inches) Female
DBT- Estobahn (5 inches) Male (adopted by a close friend)
CS- Crush (4 inches)(adopted by a close friend)
CDBT- Boss (2 inchs)
SawBackMAP-Bowser (1 inch)
Thinkskater

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

RES are illegal to be sold or possessed in EU.
Niksan878

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:05 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

This is for AZ: Red-eared sliders cannot be sold if under 4", This law does not ban the sales of baby turtles from one hobbyist to another. It also does not ban the sale of turtles that are at least 4" long and you may find healthy red-eared sliders for sale in reputable pet stores. And I also read at AZ fish and game they have an annual turtle trapping to catch non-native turtle, the most common being pond sliders. But they have also found Spiny soft-shells and snapping turtles.
1 RES- Michael Angelo
2 Dogs- Napoleon and Maggie
3 Cats- Apollo, Jack, and Sig
Anhawes

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:40 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

General Status: Legal to sell and own at any size (and unfortunately pet store owners give out incorrect or incomplete information about proper care of turtles :( )
Wildlife Status: Invasive
jols_navarra

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:43 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

What about North Carolina?
There was someone selling baby RES at a flea market, but I heard they were illegal here.
1 male dog: Chowder
1 female turtle: Skittles
1 male turtle: "Mac" (Short for Mac 'n' Cheese)
Yes, my animals are named after foods :D
FixnThePineapple

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:03 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

All hatchlings are illegal to sell as pets in the US (federal law), though some states have additional (and more aggressive) restrictions in turtle keeping.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:34 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

FixnThePineapple wrote:What about North Carolina?
There was someone selling baby RES at a flea market, but I heard they were illegal here.

They probably weren't actually selling the turtle. Most likely they sell the turtle enclosure and when you buy the enclosure you get the turtle for free. That is how hatchling RES are "sold".

-Michael
Sweeney & Pascal - RES Hatchlings & Martha - 2 yo YBS
Find out more about us at our - Turtle Blog & TurtleCam
michaelg

PreviousNext

Return to Other Turtle Discussion