Other Turtle Discussion :: RES Eating Turtle Dock

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:55 am   RES Eating Turtle Dock

I noticed that one of my sliders has been chewing off peicies of the turtle dock in their tank. Can he mess himself up doing this? I have not seen him do it for about 3 days but I walked by earlier today and he was biting away at it. He has a little grove chewed in it about the size of his head.

Maybe he does not like the way it looks and he is fixing it to his liking?

I think I seen someone post something like this before on here but I can not seem to find it.

Also nice message board you guys have here!
topshelf

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:01 am   

Yes, I believe this thread was once mentioned before, you can always use the search button

Your turtle can be nipping at the dock because of vitamin a deficiency (as well as calcium and other minerals) What are you feeding him?

For starts, offer veggies everyday, let a cuttlebone chunk float around the tank

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:12 am   

Thanks for the post. For veggies I often give him romaine lettuce and carrots....He loves carrots.

I just read some stuff in the "What to feed your Red Eared Slider" I have found the list their very helpful. I will be going to the store tomorrow and I will be sure to get some of the stuff on that list.

You can get cuttlebone at a pet store right? Surely the local Petco will have some.

Thanks for your help!!!

I am going to go search for the other thread on this topic to.
topshelf

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:10 am   

Yep, you'll find cuttlebone in the bird section of any pet store. Make sure to take the hard backing off first, as turtles can't digest it.

Both my res were chewing on the dock, and cuttlebone fixed the problem. I think they have an instinct to try and get whatever is missing in their diet and that's why they were chewing on the dock.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:37 pm   

Just a update, I went and bought some cuttlebone for him today.

I fixed it up and dropped a peice in his tank and being the pig that he is he went right to biting at it.

Thanks again guys for your help!
topshelf

Return to Other Turtle Discussion