Other Turtle Discussion :: My First Job - Reptile Center

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:35 pm   My First Job - Reptile Center

This past Saturday, my brother and I stopped by the Reptile Center close to my place to check out some herps. And while I was checking out the turtles (of course) someone came up to me and asked, "Do you need any help?" I looked up to find he was a friend I knew at school, Luke.
We talked a bit, saying things like, "hey, I know you." Anyways, I told him about how I come by here every week to see the herps and I'm guessing he knows about my experience with turtles and tortoises. He called his boss and told him about me and the boss told me he was currently hiring for people to give information about the animals they have there.
Went back there Sunday and I got hired :) This is my first job and I was pretty nervous but everything was so placed, I didn't need to worry.

And fyi, this isn't like a pet shop, this is specifically herps. All kinds of lizards, snakes, chameleons, frogs, they even have a small alligator placed in a huge cage with an indoor pond and everything. he's so sweet looking :)
As for turtles, we have snakenecks, res, maps, yellow bellies, sidenecks, malayan boxies, woods, spiny hills, leaf turts, and cooters.
For tortoises, we have sulcatas, hermann's, greeks, and leopards
Also, we measure the turtle BEFORE selling them. I know this simply because I was about to purchase two parkers snakeneck (which was 800 for a sexed pair) there and they measured them first and said, "3.5 inches, sorry." After that I got real happy :D
The only bad thing I could think of this place was that some of the turts were kinda crowded, so I decided to help out and took about 7 extra tanks I had laying around and some rubbermaids and now they all have their needed space.

Also, when someone asks us how to take care of a certain herp, we mention everything, including the infamous UVB that so many pet store people "forget" about

Just wanted to share this happy news :) Wish me luck! :D
Last edited by JessicaTS on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:08 pm   

Congratulations!! :D That must be like a dream job for you.... actually getting paid for what you love to do, huh? I think they got a bargain when they hired you with all the knowledge you already have about herps.... :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:16 pm   

Thanks sonyj :D Well this is just the beginning. My dream career and my highest goal is to become a biologist and work in the herpetology and marine field :D

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:25 pm   

Very lucky employers not to mention the herps and the customers.. Congratulations!!!!
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:05 pm   

Oh neat i just saw your post! Congratulations sweetie You'll be the best ever!
tini

Return to Other Turtle Discussion