Other Turtle Discussion :: Do turtles like to be touched?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:34 pm   

turtledlucas wrote:mine likes to get pet under his head. i swear. he freaks out then i just pet him under his head and he calms down and looks at me

Some turtles just don't care if you pet them.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:53 pm   Re: Do turtles like to be touched?

I have had my turtle for 2 years. I got him when he was small 2 inches around. He doesn't like to be touched. I can
carry him but i cannot have my hand near his face. BUT... I would notice he would stretch its head out to me..
I dont know what that meant because he would try to bite me when I would try to touch it. Now he keeps on doing it
and on youtube i saw someone petting their turtle on its head and it seemed to like it. So very carefully I would just touch it and back away now once i kept doing that it started to put its head out more and even allowed me to pet under its neck and it loves the back of its head to be petted.
But I use extreme caution and I try to take it out its tank and try to show it that i wont hurt it so while im sitting i let it crawl around. I have been doing this since i got it and just now it allowed me to pet it. I guess you have to be real patient and cautious with them. REALLY cautious and it has to trust you also.
AYSummerLoveYA

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:23 am   Re: Do turtles like to be touched?

It is like my turtle waits for me to pick her up. When I put my hands in the tank, and grab her shell, she puts her head and legs inside, and waits for me to lift her up and take her out, then she takes then out again.
RedEarSliderOwner

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion