Other Turtle Discussion :: Who has the oldest turtle?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:09 pm   Re: Who has the oldest turtle?

Hi, my Yellow Ear slider Garfunkel is 48 years old. He was a baby when I got him for my 11th birthday. We've grown up together. He probably has no idea he's a turtle, we've always treated him like a family member. He likes chin rubs, being sung to and he will come to you when you call him.

I don't know our RES Jackson's age as he was turned at an animal shelter and I was asked to take him. Jackson doesn't like being touched but he does now enjoy being sung to. for a while he thought we were a little goofy singing to him but he's stopping to listen now.
TurtlesTwo

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:34 am   Re: Who has the oldest turtle?

I tell newbies stories like yours but some don't get it. I tell of the relationships one can have with a turtle , they just can't see it . If it wasn't for a natural disaster my gang would have been in there 40's. Today it's Piggley and me. He loves the attention he gets and what memories we are creating. He sits up on his dry dock while I read to him , what attention he has . Has looks of a human at different parts of a story. Sometimes I think he's telling me get another book , that's boring? He moves to his basking dock. If I get another book he comes back to the dry dock , who's got who trained? I use to have him in my lap but most of the time he went to sleep. Neighbors say I'm the crazy turtle man , they do not get it ! Especially when we go outside I keep him on a leash , he is very fast! Maybe I am crazy but Piggley and I are happy !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:26 pm   Re: Who has the oldest turtle?

Welcome Garfunkel and TurtlesTwo! Any pictures? Is Jackson in the same tank? How long have you had him?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:50 pm   Re: Who has the oldest turtle?

Sadie is definitely NOT the oldest turtle on this forum... but she's pushing 20 years. That's an approximation, because our theory is that she was born in the wild, based on how she behaves. The guy we got her from never said how he acquired her, so we assume she was wild-caught, which is honestly fine because RES are invasive to CT anyway. Leaving her in the wild would have done more harm to local wildlife.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:26 pm   Re: Who has the oldest turtle?

My brother found Speedy in a creek in August of 89. I was 2. My mom's best guess is that she was maybe 2 weeks old. Now she is 28 and lives with me. I don't remember anything from before we had her.

Speedy knows that I am the one who feeds her. She will beg (splash) when she sees me in the morning (only when she is hungry), but won't when she sees someone else. Towards the end of last summer, I upgraded her from a 30 gallon tank to a 75. She is so happy. Now that she's been in there a year, I think she might be growing a bit more. She has been eating more than I have ever seen. (2-3 times a day)
Lisaj

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion