Other Turtle Discussion :: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this forum

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:05 pm   Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this forum

I was looking at the pictures I took of sheldon when I first got him... And my old pictures of his first setup. I can't believe the difference in his shell, personality... Even his skin is brighter than it used to be! I thought I would post some of the pictures so maybe new members could see that even if you start out with the wrong info, it's never too late to improve your turtles life!

This is a couple days after I got sheldon. As you can see he has algae build up on most of his shell, and possible fungus on the back half of his shell.

A friend of mine worked at a vet clinic, they gave him a check up then gave him to me. They had attempted to clip his nails (showing the lack of knowledge about turtles) then gave him to me saying all I needed were a heat bulb and a dock, my current setup was perfect... Quickly realized they were clueless

I had a 29 gallon (tall) aquarium at the time with gravel substrate, and a cheap submersible filter. I lurked on the forum for a little bit and started realizing how much needed to be changed. This was my first attempt at improvement...

I had changed the substrate to river rocks, and added an ATBA and proper lighting. I'm pretty sure at this point is when I was finally brave enough to post on this forum. Then I started getting advice on the great importance of filtration, and came to terms with the reality that a larger tank was in our future.

Sheldons shell was already beginning to show improvement from the improved lighting and basking...

Then I convinced my husband that we really needed a bigger tank. We looked around and decided that a 55 gallon looked perfect. It actually looked gigantic to us at the time lol... This is the only picture I have on photobucket, but at this point he has an ATBA built on a 55 gallon with sand substrate, a Fluval 405, and appropriate lighting. Even a cool black light for added entertainment...

Now Sheldon has finally made it to his forever home. His 100 gallon mansion! ATBA is still not complete, but its functional.

(bad picture, sorry)

All that I need now is a bigger filter (thinking fx5) and we are good to go!

This is my thank you to all the members of this forum, you guys have truly made it possible for Sheldon to live a long happy life! I remember when I first posted ...all the things I had been doing wrong seemed so overwhelming, but going one step at a time even on a tight budget its possible!

happycamper

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

thats cool, i could post a similar thread if I still have the old pictures. This thread has been a huge help for me as well.

and that black light pic with the sillouhette of sheldon, AWESOME! thats one of the coolest turtle pics ive ever seen! and that leaf right behind him looks like its from my favorite plant too, lol.
Tokapeli

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:18 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Awesome thread! I agree, the silhouette pic was great! You will have to post a pic of the ATBA when its finished. I have the same style tank (Except mine is wide instead of long) and I cant decide between an oak top or a black one. The plants look great too! I am jealous!
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
sflemin2

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:00 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

@tokapeli- Thanks! I really dug those pics too, and the reflection off my glass table made it look extra nifty! Hmmmm... maybe that's what drew me to that plant lol

@sflemin2- Thank you.. I was just going through my old photobucket pics and thought it was cool how much progress we had made in the last year and a half or so. I thought the blacklight looked cool, but it seemed to put Sheldon in a stramge mood every time is was on. Not sure if he liked it, or hated it... or it freaked him out... lol

The plants are silk plants from Amazon.com ...the brand is vibran-sea... Good prices and they look way better than plastic plants. Sheldon still uproots them if I don't have a large rock on the base, so I attatched suction cups with zip ties about halfway up the plant so they can be uprooted, but not float around freely.
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:05 am   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Very nice pics, I really like the creativity you've put into habitats. Sheldon looks great, thanks for posting these updates.

I'm making this a sticky. Nearly every keeper needs to make these steps at some point and these pics are proof of that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Thanks Steve! I am so proud to have been "stickied"!
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:08 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Congrats on your sticky! :D
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
sflemin2

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:05 am   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Congrats Sheldon on your Big MANSION! :) Love the tank and his setup is so nice, I hope I can get my tank looking like that. :) Looks like Sheldon is a "Happy Camper" :wink: :wink:
1-Miniature Dachshund- Female, 4 years old
1- RES -Red Forman
1- Iguana, 1 1/2 year -Louis the Lizard
redforman

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:06 am   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Looks really good happycamper. Sheldon's looking really good and so is his mansion. He's lucky to have a very caring turtle mom. If you're ever on vacation near Chicago, feel free to stop by and decorate my tank. Mo's setup looks so plain and boring compared to Sheldon's.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 am   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Looks really good happycamper. Sheldon's looking really good. Love the tank and his setup is so nice, I hope I can get my tank looking like that.
KristiRES

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:45 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Wow! This is my dream tank for our Skimmer.. Really fantastic job you have done and thank you for posting the pictures.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:34 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Thanks everyone :)
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:53 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

is it easy to keep the sand clean? I'm thinking about adding sand to mine is why i ask.
Redears2

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:53 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

Yes, I love sand!
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:58 pm   Re: Pictures of Sheldons setup- before and after find this f

what do u do to keep it clean just use a gravel vac or something else?
Redears2

Next

Return to Other Turtle Discussion