Other Turtle Discussion :: PH forest turtle 'Bakoko' in danger of extinction

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 am   PH forest turtle 'Bakoko' in danger of extinction

saw this in the local news :( :

"The world noted the passing of Lonesome George, the last Pinta Island tortoise, this week. Few know, however, that a species of turtle living in a small area in Palawan is facing the same danger that Lonesome George did.

The Philippine Forest Turtle, locally known as “bakoko”, was thought extinct until the 2000s, when specimens were found in pet markets in the Philippines. Specimens were found in the wild in 2004 but researchers report they have become rare."

for full article please visit http://ph.news.yahoo.com/ph-forest-turt ... anger.html

---

i've read that in other countries, turtles are abundant (they can be found in swamps, marshes, lakes, walking across the streets, found in pools, lurking on damp/wet places, etc.). Here, turtles are rapidly becoming rare. i am partly happy that our government is taking measures to save these species.

it was difficult to be a RES owner here. first, reptile supplies are often unavailable. second, most of the vets here cater to dogs and cats, not really herpetologists. third, the pet stores think of RES hatchlings as just a way to earn more money, often disregarding health and lighting concerns (50 hatchlings in a small container sold in bulk) :shock: .

in result, the hatchlings were not given the proper care resulting in sick and light deprived turts.

lucky for me, i found this site. for me, this site is a way to raise awareness of turtles, especially red eared sliders. the turtle talk is not just a forum -- it is a community designed to educate and inform RES owners not only in the states, but all around the world. it became a tool that keeps every member abreast in topics involving RES, from basic info, to nutrition, to health, and any other topic in between. this site made me realize that somewhere out there, there's a crazy, paranoid, obsessed turt owner, who thinks that this site is the answer to all prayers. :)

to steve and all the other moderators who keep this site GREAT: keep up the good work! :D
and to the members like me, let's continue to support this forum by recommending it to other RES owners and by providing useful information to others. :mrgreen:

p.s. sorry for becoming a bit melodramatic at the end :)
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:07 pm   Re: PH forest turtle 'Bakoko' in danger of extinction

Sad to hear about bakoko. Hopefully there are programs to keep them breeding, even if it's in captivity.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:27 am   Re: PH forest turtle 'Bakoko' in danger of extinction

steve wrote:Sad to hear about bakoko. Hopefully there are programs to keep them breeding, even if it's in captivity.

Yes this is a sad story about our very own native turtle. How I wish I could buy all the Philippine forest turtle that are sold online, unfortunately I don't want to take the risk of being caught by the authorities. What I did before I acquired my 3 forest turtle.. I waited for someone who will sell it for the budget I have rather than seeking the ones selling them.

I'm so happy when I found out that I have a positive male and female after a year of having them. Now I'm just waiting for them to reach atleast 25-30cm so that I can breed them and save them fom extinction. We also have group on Facebook which is "Philippine turtle keepers" now we are planning for a loan breeding project so that we can breed the not so common turtles that are not found here.

Cheers!
2 female RED EARED SLIDERS 8" both
4 male RED EARED SLIDERS 6" all
2 RAZOR-BACKED MUSK TURLE 5" both
3 PHILIPPINE POND TURTLE 6" 5" 4"
1 ALLIGATOR SNAPPING TURTLE 5"
1 COMMON SNAPPING TURTLE 7"
sincebirth

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:44 am   Re: PH forest turtle 'Bakoko' in danger of extinction

joined the same group just now.. :) Early this quarter I tried contacting the officials of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources because I wanted to compile the statistics for the status of turtles for the last 5 years. Their latest data is way back on 2009 and I wanted an update. Hopefully they'll reply with my queries and push through with breeding programs (usually with marine turtles). :)
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:39 am   Re: PH forest turtle 'Bakoko' in danger of extinction

CHEERS TO GREAT SERVICE ON TURTLE TALK
2-R3S Buster & Eugene
1-African Side-Neck Herman
1- Nicaraguan Slider
1- Concentric Diamondback Terrapin
:D 5 total

RIP Samus
Moose

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 am   Re: PH forest turtle 'Bakoko' in danger of extinction

dumbork14 wrote:joined the same group just now.. :) Early this quarter I tried contacting the officials of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources because I wanted to compile the statistics for the status of turtles for the last 5 years. Their latest data is way back on 2009 and I wanted an update. Hopefully they'll reply with my queries and push through with breeding programs (usually with marine turtles). :)

Thank you so much!! Honestly Im planning to make a book for them.. However blogs are now popular than books nowadays since most of the people are now online not on a bookstore.. Hehehehe.. But I will still make one after my big succesful ambition to breed them.. Cheers!
sincebirth

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:22 am   Re: PH forest turtle 'Bakoko' in danger of extinction

Moose wrote:CHEERS TO GREAT SERVICE ON TURTLE TALK
cheers! :D
sincebirth

Return to Other Turtle Discussion