Other Turtle Discussion :: Bummed :(

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:19 pm   Bummed :(

A few months ago, I posted on here that I might have to re-home my turtle, Filbert. I'm planning to move in the near future and am not able to take him with me. A friend offered to take him, tank and all. I was so glad that I found a pet-lover to take him for me. Yesterday, I took Filbert (and his 50 gallon tank, Rena XP 3 filter, lights, decorations, sand, cleaning supplies, etc...etc...etc...) to my friend's house. I didn't ask for any monetary compensation because she really was doing me a favor by taking him in. Filbert is a 4/4.5 inch male, btw.

HOWEVER, I found out via Facebook that this friend decided to get Filbert a "friend." This friend is another turtle, about the same size (judging by the pictures that she posted). Did I mention that the tank is only 50 gallons? I'm beyond frustrated that she would do this, seeing as how she "knew all about" RESs. Am I over-reacting? :?:
My Babies are:
Filbert... given to a new home :(
Johnny - DSH tabby
Cid - DSH calico
KatieSmeltzer

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:41 am   Re: Bummed :(

I dnt think your overreacting too much, but just that she may not be aware of the warning signs of agrgression should it arise. Have her join our forum ^-^
2-R3S Buster & Eugene
1-African Side-Neck Herman
1- Nicaraguan Slider
1- Concentric Diamondback Terrapin
:D 5 total

RIP Samus
Moose

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:39 pm   Re: Bummed :(

Ugh, I wouldn't be happy about it. If she's not giving him the proper care, I think you are within your rights to have her address them or return him and his supplies.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm   Re: Bummed :(

I would be upset too. You should try to talk to your friend. I would ask if she's planning on getting a bigger tank soon since she knows all about RES should know that 2 4" turtles can't be in a 50 gal for long. You gave her a lot of stuff and he was your turtle after all I think you should be able to question his care without feeling bad about it.
Mom to Stubby and Webber, 1 1/2 yr old yellow belly sliders
Mistic811

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:23 am   Re: Bummed :(

Maybe you can find another friend to take him!
"Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell."
- Bill Copeland
Nighthawk11

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:36 pm   Re: Bummed :(

+1 (steve). I think , if it's possible, returning the second turtle would save a LOT of trouble. It's half the work in half the time.
Gracie Turts

Return to Other Turtle Discussion