Other Turtle Discussion :: Whether to adopt a Red Ear slider ??

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:09 pm   Whether to adopt a Red Ear slider ??

Hi, I'm considering to get another red ear slider as companion for my RES, Ninja.
Instead of buying, I considering to adopt. Is it advisable to adopt? Would they get so upset that they choose not to eat?

What are the pros and cons between adopting and buying a hatchling?
shanshan83

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:19 pm   Re: Whether to adopt a Red Ear slider ??

steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:20 pm   Re: Whether to adopt a Red Ear slider ??

I don't advise against it. However, you need to be aware of the potential problems and the commitment of time and energy to facilitate it. The greater the age/size differential between the turtles, or the older their age, the more difficult and less likely successful the cohabitation will result. For example, two hatchlings or relatively young and about the same sized turtles will generally accept each other fairly quickly. Two older and/or sexually mature turtles probably will not accept each other unless they are a male and female. Even then, the male may harass the female. In the wild, a female can just swim away when she's not interested in mating, but in the confines of even a relatively large tank, she may bite instead because she has nowhere to escape the unwanted attention.

My hatchlings, purchased separately from different stores, took about 4/5 days to accept each other. Because they were both very small there was never any aggressive behaviour and/or biting; they would just stay away from each other most of the time. So I felt very comfortable leaving them in their tank together without supervision. As each one grew accustomed to the other they started to interact with each other. Now they are best buddies and each seems to experience stress if they are separated. Depending to some extent upon their sexes, which can't be determined reliably yet, they may or may not remain "best buddies" as they mature. But for the next year or two they're fine together.

I've recently introduced my hatchlings to Alexandra, my year + old RES 'tween. This has required constant supervision while the hatchlings and Alexandra are together. The hatchlings were fascinated by Alexandra and wanted to swim around her and examine her constantly, while Alexandra apparently viewed them as unwanted intruders. At first, Alexandra was very aggressive, always displaying aggressive/territorial fluttering to both of the hatchings. She would do this almost nose to nose. Interestingly, the hatchlings seemed not to pay the slightest attention to this. They did not seem the least bit intimidated by it nor inclined to back away. I permitted Alexandra to do this, only as long as she did not attempt to bite.

Whenever Alexandra looked like she was going to bite, I would immediately push her away from the hatchling and tell her firmly: "NO MOUTH on the babies". Alexandra would look up at me and I would then tell her in a more soothing tone: "That's a good girl, be nice to the babies." The first few days I kept them all together in Alexandra's day tank for only about half an hour. I thought that was long enough to subject Alexandra to the intrusion in her territory.

Day by day, Alexandra showed less and less aggression and less inclination to try to bite. After about a week I started to increase their time together to first an hour, then two hours. Still under constant supervision. This has been ongoing for nearly two weeks now. Alexandra shows almost no aggression any more and almost never tries to bite. The past couple of days, the only time she tried to bite one of the hatchlings was when the hatchling climbed onto her back. She didn't like that and immediately displayed and nipped at a hind foot. For the first time, one of the hatchlings nipped Alexandra on the foot. The hatchling was swimming underneath Alexandra and examining her carefully and when she got to one of the hind feet decided to find out what it tastes like. I guess.

It has been a slow process involving constant supervision and correction to Alexandra, but it seems to be succeeding. All three of the turtles are now contently sharing the day tank with no incidents of aggression or biting. The initial fascination of the hatchlings for Alexandra, as well as Alexandra's territorial instinct seem to have subsided. I think all three have simple accepted each other as part of the environment and nothing to get excited about any more. One of the hatchlings likes to be around Alexandra, and as long as she doesn't try to climb on her back Alexandra seems to have accepted her attentions. All three are often virtually nose to nose with no one showing any aggression or inclination to bite anyone else.

They still sleep in separate night tanks and I still don't feel comfortable leaving them all together in the same day tank if I leave the apartment. But I now have no qualms about leaving them all together for several hours during the day and from time to time without supervision for 10 to 15 minutes. For most of the time the hatchlings ignore Alexandra and Alexandra ignores the hatchlings, otherwise they swim around, examine each other once in a while or play in the water stream coming out of the filter. Yesterday, all three mounted the basking platform simultaneously for the first time. That was a treat to watch as they moved around to position themselves. Again, no aggressive behaviour from Alexandra, although she had ample opportunity to bite both the hatchlings had she been so inclined.
amwassil

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:57 pm   Re: Whether to adopt a Red Ear slider ??

From everything I have gleaned from this website, it would seem RES do not require turtle companionship and are quite comfortable living solo. If you, yourself, would like another one that is another matter. If it were me I would find some shelter to adopt from-as there are very likely turtles who need good homes-but your needs may be different. Good luck, and keep us posted!
simplehiccup

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:45 am   Re: Whether to adopt a Red Ear slider ??

I thought I'd update the status of my experiment in cohabitating my three sliders.

I am happy to report that all is well, the three get along very well with each other and I haven't seen any signs of aggression and no biting for a few weeks. All three share a couple of side by side day tanks that are connected via an over the tank basking platform that is accessible from both tanks. The older RES, Alexandra, will frequently go over the basking area into the second tank leaving the two babies in the first tank. The babies definitely miss having Alexandra in the tank with them. Although, they both know how to climb to the basking area, they don't seem inclined to follow Alexandra into the other tank. I sometimes pick them up and place them on the basking area so they will jump into the second tank with Alexandra. Maybe it's a turtle thing they're working out amoung themselves. Alexandra doesn't seem to mind the babies climbing on her or swimming around her any more. She'll just swim away when she's had enough of their attention. I leave them alone in the day tanks without supervision, but the babies and Alexandra still sleep in separate night tanks. I'm hoping soon to leave them full time in the larger tanks and eliminate the night tanks altogether.
amwassil

Return to Other Turtle Discussion