Other Turtle Discussion :: Legal turtles in canada

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 pm   Legal turtles in canada

Hey guys so I was wondering if the southern painted turtle is legal in canada also is there any mud turtle species legal to keep it think they are just not musks thanks bye
2 3 inch RES in 20 gallon gonna upgrade more soon well in December getting a VERY large tank for their new tankmate in December either DBT Map or Reeves Top fin 30 gallon power filter large basking rock 4 rosy red minnows and all living things day bulb
preyas1207

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 pm   Re: Legal turtles in canada

Looks like, as in the US, the regulations are not national but provincial.

I did find http://albertaturtleandtortoisesociety. ... gislation/ which shows how to find the Alberta regulations and offers a summary. Western painted turtles appear to be illegal to own in Alberta, as are all mud turtles in the genus Kinostemon. I did look at the Alberta regs, and that does eem to be what they say, however there is an indication that they've been updated recently and the updated regs aren't online yet.

When my son caught his RES in the wild in Indiana, I spent some time poring over Indiana regs. They are much longer and complex than the Alberta ones. It appears that the only legal way I can own a RES in Indiana is if it is wild caught, and I can never transport it out of state or sell it. Which explains, why just across the border in Illinois, many pet stores have RES while here in Indiana, the only aquatic turtle I've ever seen for sale is an African sideneck turtle.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:42 am   Re: Legal turtles in canada

I seriously doubt the turtle police would come after you...
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
ataraxiamb

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 am   Re: Legal turtles in canada

ataraxiamb wrote:I seriously doubt the turtle police would come after you...

It has happened to a member on this board... they came and confiscated his turtle. Best to keep a low profile if you're privately keeping turtles over there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am   Re: Legal turtles in canada

steve wrote:
ataraxiamb wrote:I seriously doubt the turtle police would come after you...

It has happened to a member on this board... they came and confiscated his turtle. Best to keep a low profile if you're privately keeping turtles over there.

Wow. That's crazy.
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
ataraxiamb

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm   Re: Legal turtles in canada

ljapa wrote:Looks like, as in the US, the regulations are not national but provincial.

I did find http://albertaturtleandtortoisesociety. ... gislation/ which shows how to find the Alberta regulations and offers a summary. Western painted turtles appear to be illegal to own in Alberta, as are all mud turtles in the genus Kinostemon. I did look at the Alberta regs, and that does eem to be what they say, however there is an indication that they've been updated recently and the updated regs aren't online yet.

When my son caught his RES in the wild in Indiana, I spent some time poring over Indiana regs. They are much longer and complex than the Alberta ones. It appears that the only legal way I can own a RES in Indiana is if it is wild caught, and I can never transport it out of state or sell it. Which explains, why just across the border in Illinois, many pet stores have RES while here in Indiana, the only aquatic turtle I've ever seen for sale is an African sideneck turtle.

Well I don't live in Alberta by the way I live in Ontario so yeah um come back to me soon because I searched for these species but had no results
2 3 inch RES in 20 gallon gonna upgrade more soon well in December getting a VERY large tank for their new tankmate in December either DBT Map or Reeves Top fin 30 gallon power filter large basking rock 4 rosy red minnows and all living things day bulb
preyas1207

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:16 pm   Re: Legal turtles in canada

According to an article written by a reptile owner in 2012,

http://reptileapartment.ca/2012/06/14/r ... rspective/

Ontario only regulates the possession of native species. Both the Western and Midland Painted turtles are native species:

http://nhic.mnr.gov.on.ca/herps/turtles.html

However, that same 2012 article indicates that some townships have no additional rules, and others completely outlaw the keeping of any exotic pets.

It looks like you are unlikely to get the answer to your question without looking at local regulations and checking if the provincial or national regulations have changed since various online articles have been written.

You might see if you can contact the author of that article to get help finding the answer.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Return to Other Turtle Discussion