Other Turtle Discussion :: World's Largest Freshwater Turtle Nearly Extinct

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:09 pm   World's Largest Freshwater Turtle Nearly Extinct

Interesting article about another turtle species on the brink:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... gn=Content
devilduck

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:44 pm   Re: World's Largest Freshwater Turtle Nearly Extinct

Aw man. He looks pretty cool to me.
Turtles:
Dexter (RES)
Shelby (RES - gone and I feel really really bad).
Miracle (Box Turtle - Given to me after Shelby left us).
Orion (Mississippi Map Turtle).
AlexisAwesome

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 am   Re: World's Largest Freshwater Turtle Nearly Extinct

That particular turtle, is in poor health. Unfortunately they will not let anyone take him to a zoo for treatment, because he is sacred to that lake. There are possibly more of these than we think, they're currently doing field studies to see of any others, even juveniles, are still out there
justatwinturbo

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm   Re: World's Largest Freshwater Turtle Nearly Extinct

justatwinturbo wrote:That particular turtle, is in poor health. Unfortunately they will not let anyone take him to a zoo for treatment, because he is sacred to that lake. There are possibly more of these than we think, they're currently doing field studies to see of any others, even juveniles, are still out there

I want one :)
Turtles:
Dexter (RES)
Shelby (RES - gone and I feel really really bad).
Miracle (Box Turtle - Given to me after Shelby left us).
Orion (Mississippi Map Turtle).
AlexisAwesome

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 am   Re: World's Largest Freshwater Turtle Nearly Extinct

AlexisAwesome wrote:
justatwinturbo wrote:That particular turtle, is in poor health. Unfortunately they will not let anyone take him to a zoo for treatment, because he is sacred to that lake. There are possibly more of these than we think, they're currently doing field studies to see of any others, even juveniles, are still out there

I want one :)

He'd need his own aquatic apartment!
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
ataraxiamb

Return to Other Turtle Discussion