Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtles in nuture centers?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:35 pm   Turtles in nuture centers?

I went to Sandy Bottom Nature Park in VA (in Hampton) a few weeks ago, and I was surprised by the conditions of their turtle habitats inside the visitor center. I took lots of pictures but didn't want to use the flash. There was a group of 8 or so turtles in a shallow tank (couple inches deep) with one basking light (I think just incandescent, don't remember) hanging over a small rock. One of the turtles, I took pictures of her, she seemed to have a shell condition. Her shell was white blotchy all over. I know nature centers sometimes take in turtles to keep, so I didn't want to assume that they were just doing a really bad job.. Maybe they took in this turtle as a rescue.. There was also a small tank, it had a tiny tiny bit of water in it, a baby RES, a baby snapper, and a frog. The frog was about as big as the baby RES.

Anyway I've read on here about pet stores keeping turtles in less than ideal conditions, I'd never heard about a nature center doing that. All the ones I've been to in Ohio have had pretty nice habitats for their turtles. I'll post some pictures later in case anyone is interested! :)
emilybean

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:33 pm   Re: Turtles in nuture centers?

Yes, please do! I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't going out of their way to care for all the creatures there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 pm   Re: Turtles in nuture centers?

These were the basking lights:

See the little mud turtle? I couldn't get closer to it. I don't know mud turtles but it looked like an odd color for one.

This is the poor lady I was worried about:

Spotted turtle!
emilybean

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:33 pm   Re: Turtles in nuture centers?

And there's more..

I didn't take a picture of this other tank from further away because I didn't want to look suspicious, but it was super small

See the baby snapper?

Another view of the same tank. There's a frog in there, about the same size as the RES and snapper.
emilybean

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:36 pm   Re: Turtles in nuture centers?

Wow, that is pretty disappointing.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion