Other Turtle Discussion :: Buying a dbt

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:48 am   Re: Buying a dbt

I agree, looks like fungal infections. RES don't often get these types on their skin, but I think a soak in diluted betadine is usually called for. And maybe some silver sulfadiazine ointment. I'd also check around some of the other forums who have more DBT keepers, as this might be a common problem.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 30303
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:06 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

Where can I get that stuff ?
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
User avatar
the-turtle-Girl
 
Posts: 499
Joined: May 6, 2015
Location: Clarksville Indiana
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:03 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

Betadine can be found in most pharmacies. Silver sulfadiazine needs a prescription. There's also something called Acriflavine found in pet stores that some people use for turtles (instructions here: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm )
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 30303
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

Well its come down to this . I'm pretty sure (after some intense reading on dbt skin probs) that he has a fungus brought on from convict cichlids . I hate to say it possibly dirty water too (shame on me) my tank was clear one night and went to like a murky green Grey . It was gross . I automatically cleaned everything . Anyways today 8 very decided to do an Extensive thorough cleaning of EVERYSINGLETHING in my tank plants rocks EVERYSINGLETHING with white vinegar and letting it dry out in the sun before it goes back in my tank .INCLUDING bleaching my filter and vinegaring my whole tank a d scrubbing the heck out of it im gunna make sure NO living fungus survives lol. In the mean time .. ran my dbt under some warm water , wiped him off (some of the brow stuff came off ) and mixed a little epsoms salt in with hot water and let it dissolve . after some time of letting my turt dry out I rubbed the epsoms salt all over his skin that had the brown stuff attached and now he's dry docked . Seems to be moving a little more but he won't eat . But I'm positive it's a fungus on his skin .. .-.
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
User avatar
the-turtle-Girl
 
Posts: 499
Joined: May 6, 2015
Location: Clarksville Indiana
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:00 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

steve wrote:Betadine can be found in most pharmacies. Silver sulfadiazine needs a prescription. There's also something called Acriflavine found in pet stores that some people use for turtles (instructions here: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm )


Very GREAT Medications and outstanding advise.

the-turtle-Girl wrote:Well its come down to this . I'm pretty sure (after some intense reading on dbt skin probs) that he has a fungus brought on from convict cichlids . I hate to say it possibly dirty water too (shame on me) my tank was clear one night and went to like a murky green Grey . It was gross . I automatically cleaned everything . Anyways today 8 very decided to do an Extensive thorough cleaning of EVERYSINGLETHING in my tank plants rocks EVERYSINGLETHING with white vinegar and letting it dry out in the sun before it goes back in my tank .INCLUDING bleaching my filter and vinegaring my whole tank a d scrubbing the heck out of it im gunna make sure NO living fungus survives lol. In the mean time .. ran my dbt under some warm water , wiped him off (some of the brow stuff came off ) and mixed a little epsoms salt in with hot water and let it dissolve . after some time of letting my turt dry out I rubbed the epsoms salt all over his skin that had the brown stuff attached and now he's dry docked . Seems to be moving a little more but he won't eat . But I'm positive it's a fungus on his skin .. .-.


I am leaning towards your thinking as well. The medications steve listed is great . Betadine comes in oil, cream and on swabs already which may help. A bit concerned on him/her with not eating . How long has it been since he ate that you visually observed?
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Apr 1, 2016
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:23 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

Tampa Bay Turtle Fan wrote:
steve wrote:Betadine can be found in most pharmacies. Silver sulfadiazine needs a prescription. There's also something called Acriflavine found in pet stores that some people use for turtles (instructions here: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm )


Very GREAT Medications and outstanding advise.

the-turtle-Girl wrote:Well its come down to this . I'm pretty sure (after some intense reading on dbt skin probs) that he has a fungus brought on from convict cichlids . I hate to say it possibly dirty water too (shame on me) my tank was clear one night and went to like a murky green Grey . It was gross . I automatically cleaned everything . Anyways today 8 very decided to do an Extensive thorough cleaning of EVERYSINGLETHING in my tank plants rocks EVERYSINGLETHING with white vinegar and letting it dry out in the sun before it goes back in my tank .INCLUDING bleaching my filter and vinegaring my whole tank a d scrubbing the heck out of it im gunna make sure NO living fungus survives lol. In the mean time .. ran my dbt under some warm water , wiped him off (some of the brow stuff came off ) and mixed a little epsoms salt in with hot water and let it dissolve . after some time of letting my turt dry out I rubbed the epsoms salt all over his skin that had the brown stuff attached and now he's dry docked . Seems to be moving a little more but he won't eat . But I'm positive it's a fungus on his skin .. .-.


I am leaning towards your thinking as well. The medications steve listed is great . Betadine comes in oil, cream and on swabs already which may help. A bit concerned on him/her with not eating . How long has it been since he ate that you visually observed?

it's been a few days but it's Like he can't open his eyes ? Like when I put him in the water he makes it back to the dock but when I put him in the water but he keeps them closed when I have him out of the tank .. :/
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
User avatar
the-turtle-Girl
 
Posts: 499
Joined: May 6, 2015
Location: Clarksville Indiana
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:24 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

Even tried live bait but he won't take it :/
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
User avatar
the-turtle-Girl
 
Posts: 499
Joined: May 6, 2015
Location: Clarksville Indiana
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:00 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

the-turtle-Girl wrote:
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan wrote:
steve wrote:Betadine can be found in most pharmacies. Silver sulfadiazine needs a prescription. There's also something called Acriflavine found in pet stores that some people use for turtles (instructions here: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm )


Very GREAT Medications and outstanding advise.

the-turtle-Girl wrote:Well its come down to this . I'm pretty sure (after some intense reading on dbt skin probs) that he has a fungus brought on from convict cichlids . I hate to say it possibly dirty water too (shame on me) my tank was clear one night and went to like a murky green Grey . It was gross . I automatically cleaned everything . Anyways today 8 very decided to do an Extensive thorough cleaning of EVERYSINGLETHING in my tank plants rocks EVERYSINGLETHING with white vinegar and letting it dry out in the sun before it goes back in my tank .INCLUDING bleaching my filter and vinegaring my whole tank a d scrubbing the heck out of it im gunna make sure NO living fungus survives lol. In the mean time .. ran my dbt under some warm water , wiped him off (some of the brow stuff came off ) and mixed a little epsoms salt in with hot water and let it dissolve . after some time of letting my turt dry out I rubbed the epsoms salt all over his skin that had the brown stuff attached and now he's dry docked . Seems to be moving a little more but he won't eat . But I'm positive it's a fungus on his skin .. .-.


I am leaning towards your thinking as well. The medications steve listed is great . Betadine comes in oil, cream and on swabs already which may help. A bit concerned on him/her with not eating . How long has it been since he ate that you visually observed?

it's been a few days but it's Like he can't open his eyes ? Like when I put him in the water he makes it back to the dock but when I put him in the water but he keeps them closed when I have him out of the tank .. :/


The eye issue can be a handful of things however I am going to call some of my old contacts who worked with me and still works at the miami springs exotic veterinarian clinic and go over all sysmtoms you described tomorrow, they will go over details with me . I am not sure what to suggest at the moment, Steve may be able too.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Apr 1, 2016
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:11 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

I'm pretty sure the eye thing is because of the fungus too .. but Ok just let me know what you find out !! Don't wanna lose my baby Creed :( </3
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
User avatar
the-turtle-Girl
 
Posts: 499
Joined: May 6, 2015
Location: Clarksville Indiana
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:51 am   Re: Buying a dbt

If he can't see, he won't likely eat which makes things drastically worse. Force feeding might be an option, though his size makes his care very difficult. Where did you get him from? Was he captive bred?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 30303
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:46 pm   Re: Buying a dbt

Based on everything you stated and I asked Megan today, a former co worker of mine in the vet clinic that worked and owns many species of both turtles and tortoises, she gave her response that she does not feel it to be a vitamin A deficiency just for the reason that you have fish with them which would indicate that you treated and dechlorinated the water in the tank. She stated that the condition of the water though that I reported to her was a more serious circumstance than a deficiency however both would require a intramuscular injection. Vitamin A drops can be administered orally during treatment planning only after stabilization from what she feels is a bacterial infection on what I reported to her.

Megan also mentioned with the water not being as clean as you reported, she feared with it being a DBT which are more prone in her opinion to bacterial infections, that more than likely is the cause of the issue and she said that she fully recommends a exotic vet to look at your turtle now before it gets to a terminal stage. It very well can lead to a URI and or septicaemia that can in eventually kill your turtle if not treated by the vet unfortunately. Until you can get it to a vet, she stated to keep its enclosure warm and very clean in the mean time.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Apr 1, 2016
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests