Other Turtle Discussion :: agressive behaviour between male and female

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 am   agressive behaviour between male and female

I have a male and female RES. They are approx. 5 yrs old and they've been together since I bought them as babies. Recently I've noticed one chasing the other more then normal and today I came home to the male with a flesh wound on his nose and dry blood on the side of his face and neck. The male has always been the more dominant one in the past but lately the female has been. I watched them (after I noticed the wound) the female hid in her shell for a short time then it seemed like the male was really trying to avoid the female, and she was watching him trying to be the more dominant one. I've only seen them fight once before, approx. 2 yrs ago, and it was over food. One bit the others foot and didn't let go for a few seconds. They have been in a 125 gallon tank for over a year now. I'm hoping this behaviour changes because I'd hate to separate them after all this time.
mjones17

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:21 am   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

It's impressive that they've been together this long. How often do you get to watch their behavior?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 am   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

Steve, could that be because of mating time/season.?
Male res - Biscuit approx 8yrs? about 5.5 inches
11 cats - Bear 13, Koko 7, J.J. 6 (rescue), Blue 6 (rescue), Rikki and Tikki 3, Violet 4 (rescue), Tweety 2 (rescue), her kits Dreamscicle and Panda 1, Catsanova 3 (rescue)
plus 1 comet, he ate 1
newresmama

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:01 am   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

I usually only get to watch them at night, like 7:00-11:00pm.
mjones17

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 am   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

I can't believe that I haven't really paid attention to their characteristics in the last couple of years, but I think I may have 2 females. Not a male and a female. There has been a huge size difference in the turtles for a long time and for quite a while the smaller one had much longer nails. Looking at them now, their nails are the same length, the only difference between the 2 is their size. I've been watching them for the last couple of hours and it seems like both of them are being territorial. The smaller one is slowly following around the larger one and standing her ground. Shes not giving the larger one any space so that's when the larger one flutters and bites. They are going face to face every few minutes. Does this mean they need to be separated ASAP? I'm afraid to leave them until I can find a separater.
mjones17

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:34 pm   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

@newresmama - RES kept indoors could mate year-round.

@mjones17 - How long are their shells? Females can be aggressive too, so I think you're still looking at some sort of separation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:19 pm   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

@steve, thanks for the info, not planning on getting my guy a gf anytime soon, but good to know
Male res - Biscuit approx 8yrs? about 5.5 inches
11 cats - Bear 13, Koko 7, J.J. 6 (rescue), Blue 6 (rescue), Rikki and Tikki 3, Violet 4 (rescue), Tweety 2 (rescue), her kits Dreamscicle and Panda 1, Catsanova 3 (rescue)
plus 1 comet, he ate 1
newresmama

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:26 am   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

If you have a male, it'll probably be best to keep him alone unless you have a plan for separation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:18 pm   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

@ Steve - I think the aggressive behaviour I referred to in the beginning was from mating. 2 days ago I found a broken egg in the bottom of the tank. So yesterday I took the female out of her regular tank and put her in a turtle terrarium that I had, with soil and water. She hasn't laid any eggs yet and she's been in that tank for about 19 hours. Should I be worried that she won't lay the rest of her eggs because she's in a different environment. She has the proper heat and lighting she needs.
mjones17

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:19 pm   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

She is approx. 7 in length (shell only)
mjones17

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:50 pm   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

I need some advise ASAP.... After my female RES was in a terrarium with soil and sand for 23 hours her eyes are now swollen. I've put her back into her regular aquarium hoping to flush her eyes out. But now I'm afraid she'll become egg bound and I'm afraid she might have an infection. What do I do?
mjones17

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:41 pm   Re: agressive behaviour between male and female

It doesn't matter if the aggression is from mating, it pretty much doesn't stop once it comes to that point.

Do you still think you have a male? Separation is really the only choice here. Has returning her into the tank help with her eyes? Are the eyelids red?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion