Other Turtle Discussion :: Our Shelled Ambassadors

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:01 pm   Our Shelled Ambassadors

My wife was contacted to bring one of our "Turtles" to a class when they were on the letter T. We decided that it would be a lot easier to bring a tortoise rather than our RES for the class to see. They were young kids and we gave them very simple info about them, what they eat(simplified weeds and salads, no dressing), what make them poop and pee, what kid doesn't like to hear about that. Turns out one little girl was surprised they poop at all. It was such a great hit that someone else from a local rescue society heard about it and wants my wife to bring one of our girls out to their event, especially since they are rescues themselves. We warn of good hygiene to anyone who touches them, and Dozer actually seemed to enjoy exploring the class room. My wife is considering doing this. How in depth do you go to telling an older group about tortoises or turtles? With little kids it was easy since we have a nephew the same age, but we are unsure about adults.
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:17 pm   Re: Our Shelled Ambassadors

Great to hear it went well. Will there only be other rescuers at this event or could anyone go? If they are just rescuers, I suppose some basics like handling and temporary housing tips would be great. Maybe just a little background on why RES could a problem, what their rehoming options are and how they compare to local species.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:34 pm   Re: Our Shelled Ambassadors

I believe it is open to any who are interested in coming, rescuers, kids, etc.
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp

Return to Other Turtle Discussion