Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtles Need a New Home

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 pm   Turtles Need a New Home

I'm facing a bit of a problem. my friend has two turtles hes trying to give away. I still have mine and i would gladly take them in. However, id need more enclosure space, more basically everything and i'm taking care of mines. but since the two he has are fully grown (including mine), i cant house them together or find a space for them in the house. not only that, if i do have them here, id have to have them used to my turtle in the same enclosure. i don't want to take that risk because they can fight and i don't know their behavior or sexes at the moment. i don't have a good vision of what they look like either but from the last time i remember (i was 15 at the time) they looked mature and reproductive at their size. i'm 20 now so they most definitely are sexually mature. also, his alternative to getting rid of them is just to dump them in the central park lake. I've been there and I've seen these turtles and they look pretty happy. however, i don't recommend him to do that because... its just not a good idea (ill research on these "laws" on dumping domesticated animals). i recommended to give them to a pet store and they could HOPEFULLY sell them off once again to a new and hopefully better home but that isn't a definite. i want to find them a home before we resort to these things.

so, to cut this short (even though its not), i don't know what he can offer at the moment besides the turtles. hopefully the whole enclosure, the filtering etc and everything but ill provide more as this goes on. but as of now, these two turtles just need a new home. i believe they are of full health, no infections to my understanding. i think they are a bit sluggish due to the fact that they have been submerged in very low water levels. other than that, their every other red slider out there. they just need a new home. i'm in the New York City area so if anyone is interested in shipping or picking them up etc, id be glad to speak to you. ill be checking up on the site a bit more often and hopefully being able to get them a new home 8)

P.S: ill work on providing pictures if necessary and sorry for the years of absence. i haven't forgotten any of you! :P
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
blackforces get you

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:17 am   Re: Turtles Need a New Home

Hey man... good to hear from you. I agree, you should not take them. Dumping them in the wild have risks for the turtle and the local population. He should try harder to re-home them.. check Turtle Rescue Long Island (they probably won't take them but might spread the word), check other rescues and look for people with the property that could take them. A surprising amount of people have private ponds. Check schools and high schools as well. Next, check with friends and family with space... if a knowledgeable person can help with the setup/adoption, it could go a long way. What's the reason for getting rid of them?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:54 pm   Re: Turtles Need a New Home

these turtles arent his. their his mothers. shes not really taking care of them so she might as well give them to someone who will (his reasoning). i dont even think they have a regular feeding schedule at all. i dont ask much for them because they arent mentioned. as far as trying to find a new home, im asking everyone right now steve because hes trying to get rid of them ASAP and i mean 2 minute call and 5 minute trip to your doorstep fast. ive asked co workers, supervisors, bosses everyone. i do have a friend who works at petco and hopefully she can speak on ways to take them in or find a new home, but as much as i can do is come here and see what i can get. ill get back to you and thanks for the suggestion in long island although it seems like a far out space to reach out to, but we will try harder. ill keep you guys posted
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
blackforces get you

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:50 pm   Re: Turtles Need a New Home

Thanks and good luck! Hope all is good with you and yours.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion