Other Turtle Discussion :: The Bean is BACK

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 pm   The Bean is BACK

So, my wife and I moved from Houston to Kansas City about a month ago. If y'all remember, I built Bean quite the pad back in TX:

We brought that huge tank with us to KC, but discovered once we got here that it was just too big for the house. :( So, I took it outside, smashed it with a sledge hammer and through the pieces onto the burn pile. The plastic tank went out to the street for trash pickup but someone picked it up before the trash people did (fine by me).

BUT! That's not the end of the story. Our neighbors had a 55gal aquarium and stand they did not want and gave it to us. I transfered Bean's filter and all of that to the new tank and that became Bean's home. I then built him a new basking area above it. So this is Bean's new home:

He seems quite happy in his new pad. :) He's friendlier in this tank because he can see out. His old tank he couldn't.
TheBean

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:40 am   Re: The Bean is BACK

Very nice! I've always wondered about personality changes between different types of tanks too.

Sucks that you had to get rid of the previous tank, but Bean does look friendlier... probably knows you can't miss him begging :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:57 pm   Re: The Bean is BACK

Looks great! However, I see your thermometer laying in the sand.. Be careful doing that because it can actually heat up the sand and make your water too warm.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm   Re: The Bean is BACK

steve wrote:Very nice! I've always wondered about personality changes between different types of tanks too.

Sucks that you had to get rid of the previous tank, but Bean does look friendlier... probably knows you can't miss him begging :)

He actually became pretty skittish in his larger tank because he couldn't see out. So when someone would peer over the side, he'd freak. Now he can see everything so he's much more interested in everyone.
TheBean

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:25 pm   Re: The Bean is BACK

Into_the_Mystic wrote:Looks great! However, I see your thermometer laying in the sand.. Be careful doing that because it can actually heat up the sand and make your water too warm.

I had to do that. I had it suction cupped to the side of the aquarium by the filter's outlet on the left side, but Bean kept knocking it out of its holder and then smashing it against the side of the tank. I didn't want it to break.

I'll turn the temp down a little on it.
TheBean

Return to Other Turtle Discussion