Other Turtle Discussion :: Moving with my Turtle

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:52 pm   Moving with my Turtle

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am moving from Canada to Miami, FL in a few months. I would like to take my turtle Littlefoot with me. I have had her for 26 years and I have moved her with me from coast to coast within Canada, but I have received some very contradictory information when it comes to the rules for importing turtles to the US.

I contacted some businesses that regularly ship reptiles around the world and they told me that I need to CITES A1 form. CITES told me that since red-eared sliders were not CITES listed they cant help me. Also, I know (from reading some of the information turtle talk) that different US states have different rules -and Florida does not seem particularly "turtle friendly". Any idea what paperwork I need to fill out or even who to contact at the US fish and wildlife office to find the information I need?

Also, I plan on coming back to Canada one day and I am worried that getting her back into the country will be impossible...

Any solid leads would be really appreciated.
LittleFoot

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:26 pm   Re: Moving with my Turtle

Are you flying? If so, it's pretty much impossible. I also think it's illegal to own in Canada, so getting her back over the border would be a similar, if not more difficult problem.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:36 pm   Re: Moving with my Turtle

Hi, yes I am flying but was thinking of having her shipped to me after I move and have everything set up for her. Reptile express said they could send her but it would cost ~ $600-800! But at least that gives me hope that it is possible.

It is not illegal to own RES in Canada. It is now illegal to sell them. My family got Littlefoot before it was illegal.
LittleFoot

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 am   Re: Moving with my Turtle

There was a Canadian member who had the authorities show up to his front door and confiscate his RES. They knew he had a RES because he was selling his old tank online. Not sure if rules are different for each province, but it's probably best to keep it quiet.

Maybe driving over the border, then shipping it state to state would be the quickest way.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:46 pm   Re: Moving with my Turtle

Hi,

Just incase anyone else ever has to go through this I though I would share a summary of the information the US fish and wildlife service sent me with regard to importing/exporting pet RES.

To import:
- You need to complete Form 3-177, Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife: https://edecs.fws.gov/
- You need this form with you when you get to the boarder.
- You need import your RES at a designated port, These are the listed at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/le/designated-ports.html OR at any of the border ports listed in paragraph (a) at the following link: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SI ... 6&rgn=div8
-You need to notify the wildlife inspectors at the port where you will be importing your RES 48 hours in advance to coordinate your turtles clearance into the United States (I guess so someone can be there to inspect the turtle - maybe it is best to arrange to arrive within business hours). Contact information for the wildlife inspectors : http://www.fws.gov/le/inspection-offices.html
- There may be fees associated with the inspection if the RES is not traveling with you (~$93). **If the turtle is traveling with you please make sure it traveling in the cabin with you -even then their ears (the tympanic membrane) can get slightly sunken in. You can correct for this by blowing GENTLY into the nose.... if you can get your turtles head out that is..) **

I HIGHLY suggest anyone needing to import OR export pet RES to contact the US fish and wildlife service. They have all the information on the forms you need to either enter or leave the US with your pet LEGALLY and they sent me a very detailed email.

I have yet to hear back from the Canadian customs on export/import of RES but from what I have read about animal bylaws in Canada, only turtles being sold are confiscated. It is legal to keep a pet turtle but not to sell. Many people try to get around this by "selling a tank" that comes with a free RES- but those turtles are also confiscated if the authorities catch on to you as you are still receiving money for the turtle. There is usually information on what to do with abandoned RES in Canada available at most annual reptile shows or one of the vendors can tell you what to do. Options are pretty limited though, usually they end up being killed :(

Also, driving a RES across the boarder with out declaring it is illegal and you can be charged with animal trafficking - even if it is only one turtle. I will post again once I hear back from the Canadian side of things.
Last edited by LittleFoot on Wed May 20, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleFoot

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:49 am   Re: Moving with my Turtle

Thanks for the update. I can't believe how ridiculous these processes can be, but it's good to know they are checking.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:37 pm   Moving with my Turtle. Mexican Nightmare

Hi Steve and LittleFoot's mum or dad.

I am going through the same absolute nightmare, only Latinamerican version. I live in Mexico and Libertad, my 10 year old RES have been together through thick and thin all over the country. Now I am moving to El Salvador and not one single so called pet traveling agency wants to help me with the process of Libertad moving. It is legal for her to be in both countries but all the agencies say it is too much of a hassle. Do you know what they told me? "Just ditch that one and get a new turtle once you are in El Salvador". What in the world are they thinking?! I am so sad! I have been trying to do it on my own, but Mexican law requires a customs agent to be involved and none of the available ones are sure how to "pack it". Because of course my 20 cm. long turtle couldn't possibly go on board with me, she has to go through cargo.

I am 3 months away from the move and have no idea of what to do next. I feel so alone and am terrified of what may come. Please tell me your story had a happy ending.

Distressed,

Mayo.
MayoSM

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:20 pm   Re: Moving with my Turtle

That's terrible to hear. Is flying the only you can travel? Are there overnight shipping companies available? I would also contact a local reptile/herp/turtle group, maybe the can offer advise here.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:10 pm   Re: Moving with my Turtle

Hi Mayo

I would make sure the cargo hold is pressurized if you choose to fly with her. You can apply for special permits in most countries through their fish and wildlife services or call and ask them what permits you need. I have no idea about the rules in latin america but I would start by calling up their wildlife offices and talking to someone about your situation.

I am still in permit hell. I need permits to import Littlefoot to the US and special conditional permits to allow me to own her in Florida - where it is illegal to import/own RES without special documentation.. Currently Littlefoot is still in Canada awaiting permit approval being cared for by a friend. Hopefully by December she will be with me again! I will let you know how it all works out.

The process of doing everything legally is very long so I suggest you start calling the different agencies (customs/ wild life control) asap.

I hope it works out for you Mayo!
LittleFoot

Return to Other Turtle Discussion