Other Turtle Discussion :: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odoratus)

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:51 pm   Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odoratus)

Hello, so let me start off with saying that I tend to prefer stuff being captive bred over wild caught.... for the reason that only hatchlings tend to adapt better to captivity than adults (personal experience)... But even then they could be full of parasites, and who knows what else they could have... I am looking for juvenile to adult stinkpots preferably either captive bred, or long term captives that have been to vets, etc...

See I have another tank I am setting up solely for stinkpots and fish(platys and mollies). I am only looking for juveniles and adults. Babies take long time to grow and I already have just one stinkpot. So I wanted a little community tank.

So what do you guys think and who do you think is a reputable breeder/seller? Can I adopt one instead? I am looking for one or three at most.

----

P.s. anyone ever tried taking care of wild turtles? Because I have a confession to make, the stinkpot and the painted turtle that I have where given to me by a friend who found some eggs and hatched them...

When I was younger I used to dabble in taking care of wild caught animals since I didn't know any better and only under certain circumstances would I ever take a wild animal(i.e. missing a limb, or gifted)

Also I've had the stinkpot for about two years since it was a hatchling...

While I know it's immoral to take a wild animal from it's habitat, would it be immoral to raise it from an egg? I mean whats done is done and I can't ever set it free because it may do more damage than good(besides I am completely in love with her).

She has no name yet since I never bothered to give her a name. Thought she wouldn't make it past a year since all the stinkpots he ever gave me, used to swell up and die(again this is when I was a child so dont be too harsh on me).
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:53 pm   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

Don't know about the stinkpots. But my res was a wild hatchling. It's no different than my captive bred turtles other than I was stupid and took her from her real home. Sometimes I feel bad about that but I take great care of her. I will however never take another creature from the wild and don't condone doing so.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:04 pm   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

Kingsnake.com and the ATP Classifieds usually have some good specimens.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:27 pm   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

Jeremiah wrote:Kingsnake.com and the ATP Classifieds usually have some good specimens.

I tried a place called turtle source but they seem extremely expensive... :/
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:36 pm   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

If I'm not mistaken I seen some for sale on kingsnake yesterday. I see no problem with raising those turtles.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:48 pm   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

SneakySushie wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Kingsnake.com and the ATP Classifieds usually have some good specimens.

Sadly, that is usually the case--the breeders have to recoup some of their "rearing-losses" somehow. Just avoid Turtle Shack!
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:57 pm   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

Jeremiah wrote:
SneakySushie wrote:

Sadly, that is usually the case--the breeders have to recoup some of their "rearing-losses" somehow. Just avoid Turtle Shack!

I just remembered long long ago, I had an excellent set up that would rival most SMALL tanks... I remember I had a decent basking platform (hand made) where they could completely dry out and this had a mercury vapor bulb sitting on top of it.

I had a whisper 40i filter which works marvelously I dare say for such a cheap price! (remember these were hatchlings).... I remember I had no gravel in the tank and I had a bunch of aquatic plants in there and the water temperature was correct for the species!

I kept a white lipped mud turtle, and a map turtle of a sort! Both died, one a week after(But because it exceeded 7 days-- by like one or two days tops!) and the map turtle 3 months later randomly.... For the mud turtle he didn't even offer a refund. He just offered 20% off of my next purchase... this was under my fathers name and I recall that at this time I was burned out of 80+ bucks.... And yes money does matter because I am not rich. >:C so to those who say it shouldn't be about the money, it's about both. The sad experience, and the loss of money. Breeders need to make up for their losses I understand, but don't sell me sick animals.

---
P.s. This was also when my mercury vapor lamp exploded (2 months later)
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:04 pm   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

Actually, I said that because Turtle Source's animals are usually healthy. The last time I checked, Marc was still in charge and produces good stock. You will get your money's worth--and without a sad experience. (Note that I'm not affiliated with them, I've just heard a lot of good reviews from several turtle forums). :)
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:11 pm   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

Jeremiah wrote:Actually, I said that because Turtle Source's animals are usually healthy. The last time I checked, Marc was still in charge and produces good stock. You will get your money's worth--and without a sad experience. (Note that I'm not affiliated with them, I've just heard a lot of good reviews from several turtle forums). :)

Yeah I just hope if I buy from him the same thing that happened years ago doesn't happen again...
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:45 am   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

I guess buying a turtle online is somewhat of a crap shoot. Mine were not shipped the way I would ship them at all. Its a wonder they lived!
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:50 am   Re: Anyone know where I can get STINKPOTS(Sternotherus Odora

Kansasslider wrote:I guess buying a turtle online is somewhat of a crap shoot. Mine were not shipped the way I would ship them at all. Its a wonder they lived!

Well if I buy from them and it dies within two weeks... Ill report them to the BOI over at fauna classifieds...
SneakySushie

Return to Other Turtle Discussion