Other Turtle Discussion :: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:04 am   Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

I have a classmate, her brother keeps 2 1-year-old RES in only a 5-gallon tank. OK, that's bad enough. But they feed the RES only pellets and those kind of shrimp called Artemisia or something to them. Also, for veggies, they feed them SEAWEED. Like, what is wrong with them???????? :evil: They get all those fake care advice from so-called "professionals" from where they bought the turtles. I'm pretty sure the last time I saw those poor little turtles I'm sure I saw that they had metabolic bone disease and pyramiding. I try tactic after tactic to get them to actually take care of the RES properly. But do you know what they call me for giving those advice? A LIAR. I gave them the right advice to care for a life, and they call me a LIAR??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Now even my friend mistrusts me. How do I get my friend's family to take care of their turtles properly? :( :shock:
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
1 Common Musk Charcoal ( Rest In Peace :cry:)
1 Red-Bellied Turtle Hermes
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:26 am   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

And I told her brother that the turtles needed more water(they were in only 1 inch of water), he said,"EXCUSE ME!? They're land turtles! If I put them in water, they'll drown! They'll sink!" And I was like, turtles don't drown!!!!!!
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:34 am   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

Print off a care sheet! Unfortunately some people think "its just a stupid turtle" The same can be said about any pet really. Just because we are at the top of the food chain doesn't make us all care.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:48 pm   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

I've printed off at LEAST 3 care sheets for them and still they don't take the advice
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:59 pm   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

Just curious, but how old is your classmate and her brother?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:46 am   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

Classmate is 10, her brother is 8
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:09 pm   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

OK, so it's pretty obvious they are too young for the complete responsibilities of turtle care. If they refuse your help, there isn't much you can do. Do you know how their parents feel about it? Any school projects that you can use to educate her?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:01 pm   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

Their parents are the ones who bought them the turtles, they get all the "advice" from so-called "professionals" to "take care of the turtles". The "professionals" are the people of the pet trade. They ignore my advice and call me a liar because I'm a kid and the "professionals" are adults and sell the turtles, but we all know that most of the people who sell turtles are cruel, unknowing, greedy people who only sell turtles for money. The 2 RES were a 7th birthday present to my classmate's brother, even though he couldn't take care of them properly.
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:21 pm   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

Do your parents know about this? If you show them the information and explain to them about RES, assuming they don't already know, they might be able to talk to your classmate's parents for you. It would probably mean more coming from another adult. Also, I know it's frustrating, but try not to let the ignorance of others weigh you down. As long as you're doing your best, that's all you can do.
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:39 am   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

I've tried telling my parents, they don't care
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:08 am   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

There really isn't much more you can do. The important thing is you tried.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:01 pm   Re: Classmate's 1-year-old RES neglected

Sorry, it doesn't sound like there is anything else you can do.
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Return to Other Turtle Discussion