Other Turtle Discussion :: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:24 pm   New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Hello, my name is Rod and this is my very first post,

I have recently taken over care for a turtle named Bert and I am wondering if anyone could help identify the type of turtle it is and whether or not he looks sick. The person who no longer wanted Bert informed me that he was told it was a red eared slider and is around 3 years old, however, Bert is only about 3-4 inches long and also lacks the signature red color behind then eyes. They also told me that they did not have any UV light or heat besides the water temp being kept at 80-85* for the first year to a year and a half. My other question is whether or not this could have prevented the red color from forming at an early age or whether it could have possibly stunted his growth? His shell also looks like it is flaking and has white areas that I am not sure whether they are from a fungus, mineral deposits or just the natural look of his shell.

So basically,
1. What kind of turtle is he if not a RES?
2. If you do think it is a RES, why doesn't he have and red spots?
3. Does his shell have a fungus or mineral deposit? Or do you think he is just in the process of shedding his scutes?

Your help will be much appreciated!!

These are the links to a couple pics of him:

Last edited by Berttheturt on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berttheturt

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:21 am   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Hi Rod and Bert, welcome to the forum!

1 - You might have an Eastern River Cooter, Peninsula Cooter or if the plastron is reddish, a Florida Red-belly. Clear pics of the skin stripes/plastron might help with the ID
2 - RES don't always have a "red ear" and it be a different shape as well
3 - Bert needs a couple of good sheds. I don't see any problems, however retained scutes can hide potential problems under there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:07 am   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick response, Steve!

Here are a couple of closer pictures of Bert's skin stripes, as well as two pictures of his plastron to possibly help ID him.

Skin Stripes 1- Image
Skin Stripes 2- Image
Plastron 1- Image
Plastron 2- Image

1. It looks like he didn't completely shed in a couple of places on his plastron, which I'm assuming are retained scutes?
2. I have also been told that you should never pick at their shells to help them shed or remove their retained scutes, but is there any way to safely help him shed these problem areas/retained scutes?
3. Also, how often should he be shedding his scutes on average?

Thanks again for the advice!
-ROD & BERT
Berttheturt

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:37 am   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

I guess I'll lean towards Eastern River Cooter for now, though he might be a hybrid.

The plastron is pretty rough - it and the carapace is showing irregular growth. Never force a scute or pick or peel at them. There are exceptions to the situation, but generally do not physically interfere. From the pics, none of them are ready to shed. Just get the right lighting and basking setup. Make sure the bottom of the shell gets to dry off as well. Shedding time tables are not something you can predict, but it can happen annually, though I would say thats rare for RES kept indoors.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:41 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Looks like the river cooter I used to have lol. Fun different type of aquatic turtle. Same care as a RES...
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:28 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Looks to me like a yellow bellied slider/Cooter. I think there is a Pennsylvania Cooter that is very similar to the yellow bellied. She looks like she is female, just looking at the claws on front feet and it appears her tail is fairly short. We are new to pet turtle ownership as well, so I can't advise you on her shell condition. But you might have to changer her name to Bertrude..lol Welcome to the group :)
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:37 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

May I ask a question from the more experienced Turtle owners here? Bert seems to have rolls around his/her legs and I don't see this on my turtle. Is this a sign he/she has been over fed? I was just wondering, if this is normal for a more mature turtle or a sign of something else.

Thank you
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:24 am   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

I would say that overfeeding is likely. Much older RES do show a bit of sagging skin as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:50 am   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Res and turtles in general have verrrry Carrey slow metabolisms and just like fish will eat and eat and eat and eat if you offer food...they get fat easy and the older they get the more fat they retain like humans if u know what I mean
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:14 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Hahaha do I know what you mean.. I wonder if its harder for the older turtles to lose that fat Just like humans?? LOL So the lesson here is its probably way more detrimental to turtles to over feed then under feed would you all agree with that?
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:40 am   Re: New Turtle Owner and Turtle Identification?!

Pretty much. Recently, I've been saying that when in doubt, feed less. Turtles won't like it though :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion