Other Turtle Discussion :: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:36 pm   What type of aquatic turtle is this?

I purchased what was sold as a "button turtle" from the local fish store. See attached pic. The name is probably because it's barely the size of a quarter or a button. I can't find anything when I google button turtles except turtle buttons and such. I think it's some kind of mud or musk turtle...Any ideas? I can take a picture of its underside if needed.
Attachments
Buttons 1.jpg
Regards,
Frank

Living the dream…
I’m just not sure who’s!
paradoxman

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:23 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

Hard to tell, but it looks like a 3-striped mud turtle

https://www.google.com/search?q=3+strip ... s&tbm=isch
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:41 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

Very cute little turtle, whatever it is. Very camouflaged on those stones. :)
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:47 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

Thanks,
Except I replaced the gravel with very fine river sand because I also have a baby soft shell turtle and their natural habitat is fine sand so they can bury themselves. Also with that size gravel in the picture there's a possibility the turtles could accidentally swallow a pebble which wouldn't be a good thing. The sand is more of a pain but it's the best thing for them.
Attachments
IMG_3393.JPG
Regards,
Frank

Living the dream…
I’m just not sure who’s!
paradoxman

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:55 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

Thanks Philbert,

I looked at them after reading your comment. Mine has a much taller arched shell then a midland. I know it's hard to tell by one picture, I appreciate bro.
Regards,
Frank

Living the dream…
I’m just not sure who’s!
paradoxman

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:57 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

Steve,
I just checked out the URL you included with your comment and I think your right about it being a 3-striped mud turtle..."your the man"!
Regards,
Frank

Living the dream…
I’m just not sure who’s!
paradoxman

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:18 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

we used to feed florida soft shells in the wild, but we never got to see what they did under the murky surface. Very cool pic.. :)
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:23 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

oh for information sake, I didn't think you had a midland painted.. Philbert is our little Midland painted turtle. I had no clue what type of turtle yours was.. Glad to learn its a 3 striped mud turtle.
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:43 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

Hey uncejoe,
Tell Philbert I'm sorry...my bad!
Regards,
Frank

Living the dream…
I’m just not sure who’s!
paradoxman

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:21 pm   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

Haha no worries Philbert has a really hard shell things just bounce off :lol: :mrgreen: ..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:29 am   Re: What type of aquatic turtle is this?

This is the first time I looked at this thread and instantly known it was a mud turtle right away since I used to catch all native turtles to Florida, snakes and alligators from the age of 9 in which I took home and yes from all you parents out there, I was yelled at by everyone of my family members and as a mean boy, even put them in my sisters bed under the covers for being yelled at lol. My sisters do remind me yearly in family gatherings.

The good thing is, Most I let go within two to three hours after capture only to take them home to study the species. I kept very little of them. I have been to many States as well over the years doing just this too. The Carolinas, Georgia, Kentucky and Indiana were other areas of my reptile adventures as a child. I know of places in Florida today where you can go catch these adorable ones but with the reptile industry in turtles going way up in prices, unfortunately they are becoming harder to find. It is a shame that the money aspect drove it to this level.

By the way, who ever claimed that this turtle was a "button turtle" at the pet shop, it is a cute name lol but should reconsider on staying maybe in the fish area of the store where most likely they are within more familiar names lol.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Other Turtle Discussion