Other Turtle Discussion :: Second life for aquarium waste water.

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:15 pm   Second life for aquarium waste water.

Hello everyone.

Just to let you know, I'm a bit of "nut" when it comes to recycling - i religiously recycle everything I can...so it dawned on me...how about the waste water from partial water changes from my two redearsliders?
All this "crap" (nitrates/nitrites/ammonia) is a waste product that I used to dump into toilet...however, I have realized that I am throwing away liquid fertilizer...for my plants!
There are plenty of articles on the interwebs about it, such as this one:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2218/

I do understand that this water contains "good" bacteria, which soil needs, and possibly SALMONELLA - which WE do NOT need.
So, I am using this waste water ONLY for my flowering plants - I do not spray it on them - which could cause contamination, but rather pour it straight into the soil. Probably i could use it on my tomatoes and such, but not root crops - due to above mentioned possibility of cross contamination.

I know that waste water facility of my town would take care of it...but this way I save some cash on my water and fertilizer bill...

Just sharing my thoughts.

Thanks.
Damian

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:17 pm   Re: Second life for aquarium waste water.

Good points by Kansasslider below.

The linked article doesn't mention anything about Salmonella so further evaluation would be necessary.

[edited - steve]
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:35 pm   Re: Second life for aquarium waste water.

We pour George's water into the soil at the base of the tree just outside our front door, yes indeedy.
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:13 pm   Re: Second life for aquarium waste water.

I have used pond water, to water my house and garden plants for years.. Orchids in particular do fanstastic when they are being watered with pond water.. I had gold fish in a back yard pond with live plants growing in it.. Can't see Turtle water being that much different. I agree I probably would play it safe and not use on produce plants..
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Return to Other Turtle Discussion