Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtle Water Fumes?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:19 pm   Turtle Water Fumes?

Basically, I have a rubbermaid tub for my turtle, which I keep in its room. I have 2 filters, a Tetra Whisper 2 10i, and a submersible filter that I got off Amazon, which is rated for up to 40 gallons. (It's quite strong, much stronger than the tetra one). Both have carbon in them, and I initially bought them because my turtle tub would smell/reek of ammonia, and I couldn't do full water changes every week. With those filters, the water doesn't smell at all. However, I rarely turn on my filters, maybe for about 30 minutes every 2 feeding sessions (so like 2-3 times a week), as that is more than long enough to keep everything crystal clear. However, when I leave the filters off, the turtle poop just floats right out :(, but either way, the carbon kills most of the smell, and it seems fine. However, the turtle tub is located right beside my bed sort of like this [bed][t], with the [t] being the turtle tub of course, and the bed being rectangle shaped. The turtle tank is beside the side of my bed where my feet are. Now, here starts the problem.

My room doesn't smell one bit. I have an extremely good nose, and I can't smell anything at all. However, I've noticed that my breath is suffering a lot. My turtle is like 5 inches, and it's tub is a bit small for it (getting a new tank soon, I hope a 20 gallon is serviceable). I drink a lot of water in my room, (out of glass cups), and obviously I sleep there. However, I've noticed that my breath is really bad, despite brushing my teeth 3 times a day, and wiping my tongue with toothpaste. Could this be a pileup of any evaporated turtle water that I'm inhaling? It seems unlikely, but I'm no expert
Last edited by mysacisanorange on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mysacisanorange

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:43 pm   Re: Turtle Water Fumes?

There is no relation to your breath. Try a tongue scrapper.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 pm   Re: Turtle Water Fumes?

Hmm, alright thank you. Anyways, my turtle is roughly 4.5 inches, closer to 4 inches now that I measure it. Money is a bit tight, I'm just a high school student that irresponsibly got a pet turtle when I was a little kid. I really want to give it a bigger tank, and I know that you need 10 gallons for every inch of the turtle. However, Aquarium prices are insane in Canada, $200 minimum for a 50 gallon tank, and I really can't afford that. Do you think that a 20 gallon tank is serviceable for my turtle. As mentioned before, I am very aware of the 10 gallon per inch rule, but honestly I think that it is a big extreme for a turtle (I know it's cruel too keep an animal in a small area, but I really don't think that the appropriate size for a turtle is really that linear of a function. I'm thinking more of a base size, plus a smaller increase per inch, but I digress). The sizes at petsmart go from 10, 20, and 50 gallons, jumping in price from $20, $40, and $200. I really can't just dish out $200, and I don't have any furniture that can support all that weight. So, again, sorry for the repetition, but do you think that a 20 gallon tank can do my turtle justice? I have a floating basking area, so I can fill the tank near the top. Also, do I need a special stand for a 20 gallon tank, or can any ordinary table handle the weight
mysacisanorange

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:01 am   Re: Turtle Water Fumes?

Tanks are nice, but you are right they can be expensive. Do keep checking classifieds Kijiji for used tanks, and maybe local garage sales. 20 gallons is pushing it, maybe look into stock tanks or preformed ponds, depending on your location. A tank could also be on the floor, or you can whip up something simple.

It's good that you're putting effort into his care, I'm sure you will figure it all out.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion