Other Turtle Discussion :: Female RES acting like Male

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:08 pm   Female RES acting like Male

Hi,
I have two female sliders and one male all almost 10yrs old, they get along fine but today for the first time one of my females was harassing the male, doing some cheek tickling to him instead of the other way around, he was not to happy about it and had his mouth opened warning her, she just kept at it until he bit her and latched on until I tapped on the tank with a stick.

In all the years I've never seen this behavor, any ideas or opinions?
is she just tired of his advances and trying to fool him into thinking she's a male?
I haven't seen her do this to the other female nor have I seen the second female do this.
slider4life

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:38 am   Re: Female RES acting like Male

Is it possible the other one was bothering her first?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 pm   Re: Female RES acting like Male

steve wrote:Is it possible the other one was bothering her first?

Yes he pester her with the cheek tickling trying to get her to mate as well as to the other female, most times she just swims to a hideout to one of the hideouts with room for only one turtle.

I was just surprised to see her doing the cheeks tickling to him and continuing to do it dispite how agitated she was making him.

I haven't seen her do this to the other female, I also can't find any reference to this anywhere.
slider4life

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:16 pm   Re: Female RES acting like Male

She's just telling him to back off. Females don't do it often but it happens. I was surprised to see it when my female did it too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:19 pm   Re: Female RES acting like Male

I have found with my boys they "wave" at things they like. Sometimes we put in treats and they wave at it before eating it.

I did notice with Skip O'Lippers(RIP) she would put her legs far apart and slowly slide her tail from side to side sorta like a strip tease act. She only did it for Fred and Fred only ever waved at her, not interested in Treveena(RIP)
Children that fit in the palm of your hand.
skipolippers

Return to Other Turtle Discussion