Other Turtle Discussion :: Crazy Turtle - How to calm them?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:00 am   Crazy Turtle - How to calm them?

I’m new to the forum and registered to post. This post is in regard to my RES Bart, who I adopted in August. He is probably between 7-9 years old.

I “adopted” or rather acquired Bart from my office. Someone had temporarily relocated him to our office when they moved, but never took him back home. It really didn’t seem anyone was taking care of him, so a few months after I started and saw no one doing much for him I did some research and was shocked at how much he had been inadvertently neglected and took him home. With the new basking area, new lamps, new filter, a heater, regular water changes and a varied diet Bart’s temperament changed dramatically – he went from lethargic and scared to what I would consider very active and hyper. At first it seemed healthy active, but now if I am home he spends the entire time swimming into the glass in my direction or trying to climb out.

Maybe this is where my problems started – I take him out to let him walk around the room, probably for a half hour at most. He seems to love it, and now when I take him out he follows me and just climbs my foot and will lay there. Sometimes I lay with him on the floor and no joke – he cuddles up next to me. But it seems like it’s becoming a problem. When I try to put him back after I have him out, he goes nuts – frantically tries to climb anything to get out, and if I get close to the tank he will run up the ramp in my direction (and I mean FAST) to try to climb out. When he gets so crazy, I’ve started to put a sheet over the front (like people do to bird cages) so he can’t see me and calms down and that seems to work. But I am starting to get concerned because he is seems so focused on getting out while I am home, he doesn’t bask if I’m there.

I feel like I have created a monster. Is this really just begging? Any advice? I thought taking him out would give him some extra “exercise” but maybe that was a mistake…
brinbrinbrinn

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:36 am   Re: Crazy Turtle - How to calm them?

It's likely just begging. If you keep ignoring him during the day, he should calm down more and figure out when to beg (dinner time).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 pm   Re: Crazy Turtle - How to calm them?

Bart is so thankful that you adopted him x)
Peninsula Cooters: Hachi and Pudding, 5 year old girls.
Baby RES: Mochi, Cho-Cho and Lemon.
Albino African Clawed Frog: Tamama.

“...But the functions of intellect are insufficient without courage, love, friendship, compassion, and empathy.” — Dean Koontz
Hachi_Pudding

Return to Other Turtle Discussion