Other Turtle Discussion :: R.I.P. Chopsley

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:31 pm   R.I.P. Chopsley

We came home to find Chopsley dead , Mickey killed him. When you think all is good it's not. Don't trust a 18 yr old male RES no matter how good he is. Several months gone by were getting along great. Mickey teaching Chopsley to watch feeders from the basking area , together heads moving back and forth. Studying there victims? Playing follow the leader , Mickey leads Chopsley follows , times Chopsley leads and Mickey follows. All good ! Chopsley on top Mickey basking Mickey jumps in Chopsley try's to stay on. A double dive , going out for the Olympics. Years in this hobby only other loss was Hurricane Katrina 2005 took several. Only found Mickey. Even when feeding him if he accidentally got my finger he stop , never clamp down. Never drew blood. Alwasys good ! Was good with Chopsley ! Know it's my fault...this one hurts. The past could always tell if I had to separate , that's how I ended up with so many tanks and got out of hand. This time something I didn't see. I never had a lot of time with Chopsley like with Mickey but the time we had was great. My new wife , Ellen , insistence Mickey must go ! To big ! To cruel ! Just to... She was just getting into turtles and taken a liken to Chopsley. Now I lose two... Will try to find an old doctor friend that I volunteered with from the old nature center. Hear he's getting ready to open the new center soon. Maybe he will take Mickey. This way I know he has a great home.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:29 pm   Re: R.I.P. Chopsley

Oh no, I'm very sorry for your losses :(

This is horrible to hear, I'm at a loss for words now.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:10 pm   Re: R.I.P. Chopsley

I regret to say Mickey , my friend , will be re homed at the nature center.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:50 pm   Re: R.I.P. Chopsley

It's understandable. I know you will miss both.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:26 pm   Re: R.I.P. Chopsley

I knew when Ellen called Mickey a murderer , I lost him.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm   Re: R.I.P. Chopsley

It's just their nature in a captive environment. I hope she'll give turtles another chance.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion