Other Turtle Discussion :: Mucky Water and Foam?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 pm   Mucky Water and Foam?

http://imgur.com/a/u71e9

I recently retrieved a Red Eared Slider from my girlfriend. When I got him, his tank was disgusting (Her friend had him for a couple of weeks, didn't take care of him) so I used a scrubby sponge a dishsoap to scrub the gunk that made it nearly impossible to see through the glass. Put the rocks in, poured the water in (Roughly 6 gallons which I'm well aware isnt enough and I'm looking into getting a 30 gallon tank. This one is 10) put the filter in and after about 8 hours, this happened! I read online that It could be "Bacterial Bloom" and it'll go away in a couple of weeks. But I can tell he's having a hard time seeing in the water and keeps hitting his head on things! Is there anything I should do? Or just leave it be? Thanks.
Phikicheli

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 pm   Re: Mucky Water and Foam?

Basically there's not enough water and filtration. That substrate is not helping either. You also might be feeding too much.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:00 pm   Re: Mucky Water and Foam?

steve wrote:Basically there's not enough water and filtration. That substrate is not helping either. You also might be feeding too much.

Can you explain what steps I should go about to fix this? Do I need a new filter? Put more water in? and what substrate are you speaking of? Thanks.
Phikicheli

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 pm   Re: Mucky Water and Foam?

There is going to a be a lot of waste in that water. Having more water allows for better quality. Having the right filter is critical too, however there are limits when you have such little water to begin with. Substrate is anything you add to the bottom of the tank... a lot of times it can trap waste.

How big is the turtle now?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion