Other Turtle Discussion :: Created a Dependency

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:16 pm   Created a Dependency

Didn't take long for Piggley to take food from my hand. ( 5" male RES ) Now he wants all to be hand feed. Throw anything on the water will not take it , spin him around put his nose at it then he says the hell with you. What a look he gives me. Spin around several more times and I think he likes that , thinks we're playing. Will make that a new game for us to play but only after he eats. I must pick it up and hand feed. What did I get into? Can't have him that dependent on me. Always would hide food for him to find but I think he was always watching knowing it came from me. I want him to still hunt. Wanted closeness and a good relationship but all food by hand? Some romaine stays all night until I pick it up to hand feed. Tough love come's Saturday's next feeding , all will float until he eats it then I will feed a treat by hand! And over the years had turtles could never hand feed. Turtles no two are alike ! Bet some wish they had my situation with turtles that do not eat...
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 am   Re: Created a Dependency

I'm sure it's just temporary. Maybe he's just not seeing it clearly. What if you "push" him down a bit (under the surface)?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 am   Re: Created a Dependency

I have pushed Piggley down and he does go after some , the one's far away, never the one's close. Really noticed this about three weeks ago. In my years never had any that was farsighted. Like you I think / hope it's just temporary , we are just feeling each other out on the trust side. But then I could have the first turtle with reading glasses.

It's crazy this guy really loves to be spun around in circles , so it's in our play time.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:28 am   Re: Created a Dependency

How do you spin him?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:16 am   Re: Created a Dependency

All this is done in the water. Started by just touching top of rear shell turning him slowly some to see the food. I noticed he kept legs out when doing this , so used area if front right rear leg , (my finger only) up against shell. I can feel him push his leg out harder if I go to fast as to hold on better. Slowly at first then little faster , he loves it. Not sure if he get dizzy or not , I would . That's clockwise , now counter clockwise for some reason he's not as into it as clockwise. He doesn't us his leg like the right side , he lets it slide back in but we do get three or four slow turns before he falls out. Must be a right handed turtle? Think about stirring a cup of coffee slowly is about how fast we go.
At first he use to let shell tilt down and go under but he now holds his balance very well. I do believe he enjoys it. He act's different when begging for play time than wanting food. He sets up like a dolphin pushes out water and as he goes down he swims in circle by himself then stops to see if I was watching. He does that until I spin him. Ever since , Chopsley , Ellen has nothing to do with Piggley. He always watches her but Ellen refuses to respond. Does not look like Ellen will come around. Maybe time will heal?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:56 pm   Re: Created a Dependency

Love the connection you have with Piggley, I'm sure Ellen will eventually come around.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:03 am   Re: Created a Dependency

The spinning was just a FAD. Not into as much. It now changed to pushing Piggley from one side of tank to other. Like skim boarding ! See how long this last.
Also finding food better since I only feed him by hand half the time. One thing Piggley think's a veggie clip is a toy , went to wooden cloths pin to see if a difference but still a toy. Wow , how high out the water he gets ! Must have some dolphin in him.
litefoot

Return to Other Turtle Discussion