Other Turtle Discussion :: Snapping Away !

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:28 pm   Snapping Away !

Thought I caught Piggley doing something new. Sitting on bottom just snapping away? Close look ... baby ghost shrimp. Still had a few from Mickey's day's. Very tiny but Piggley got them , wonder if he really saw them or just hanging around his head bothering him?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:45 pm   Re: Snapping Away !

He knows what's he's doing :) Do the ghost shrimp multiply a lot in his tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:16 pm   Re: Snapping Away !

Not really but in my plant tank must have a few good mated pair always babies. The cinder block they use is covered with tiny eggs! I give most to a neighbor for his fish since I have way to many.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:07 am   Re: Snapping Away !

I think I might add some to a planted stock tank project :) Although I would hate it if they over ran the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:59 am   Re: Snapping Away !

No problem over running the tank really , feeder ghost shrimp under the best conditions only live 2 years ! Short life span ! Also the parents have no problem eating there young ! Having a 70 gallon plant tank helps me in that area. I only use a sponge filter and air pump , Any filter with a sponge intake will help save some. A higher quality shrimp will have longer life span but for turtle food ...
I never use females with eggs as food , easy to see the eggs , that's why I have so many. Neighbors get free food for there fish , kids get some to look at / play with...
Are as small as rosy red babies and kind of look like them , shrimp have no legs when born , as they grow legs develop.
Seems like the more I leave it alone the better they do?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:56 pm   Re: Snapping Away !

Ah, I forgot that I have to consider what will survive a winter. Last thing I want to do is move around the contents of a 100 gallon stock tank. I wasn't even thinking of a filter as I wanted it be mostly self-sustaining... maybe I'll just try to keep it as simple as possible the first year.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 am   Re: Snapping Away !

Hell this year winter never came for us! Grass stayed green most trees never lost leaves , scary to a point.
Plant tank for years was all natural , NO filter No air ,done very well year round . This year due to all the plants rosey reds and shrimp (over crowded ) that I put an air stone /sponge type only in it. Never change water only rain water and kept the debris in bottom about 3" now and is good! Truly self-sustaining for years and all good.
Mostly Hornwort grows the best ,Hyacinth Piggley wiped out letting it recover , water lettuce was down to 5 plants and in four weeks this is were it's at and anacharis having little trouble getting it going again.

Just a look at my other things below.
And you already seen Piggley's home!

Do plants only for now , a low flat and wide container works well and just do floating plants easier to start.
Attachments
100_0165.JPG
Small goldfish pond.
100_0770.JPG
Quarantine tank on Breezeway.
IMG_20170501_093457586.jpg
Plant tank on back porch.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:41 am   Re: Snapping Away !

That looks great! The only equipment I was thinking of was a small solar powered pump to aerate a little bit and keep the mosquitoes away.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:54 am   Re: Snapping Away !

That works too! Have four of those solar pumps around , I just like the sound ! Only 5 rosy reds will keep mosquito larvae under control !
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:10 am   Re: Snapping Away !

You have 3 stock tanks going?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:42 am   Re: Snapping Away !

Before Katrina had 6-150 gallon stock tanks , out of control ! You think?
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:07 am   Re: Snapping Away !

Maybe just a little. :) It's easy to get obsessed with a hobby, fish and turtles are no different.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion