Other Turtle Discussion :: yellow bellied slider - pyramiding?!

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 pm   yellow bellied slider - pyramiding?!

Hey there.... new to the forum, and so thankful there is one.
So newbie in all sorts of the word... boyfriend has a yellow bellied slider (maybe bout a year old). He is kept in a 40 gallon tank (half filled with water) floating dock, basking lamp, heater, uvb lamp etc. Tank is kept clean at 80+ degrees.
He is in great spirits, very active, basking is good, ferocious eater.... which brings me to his shell. I think we got some pyramiding in a big way.
Too much protein not enough veggies.
In the past week I have started to take care of him myself because I want what's best for the turtle :D
Soooo I started to feed him butter lettuce, red lettuce, dandelion greens and some Zoo Med Aquatic (35% protein).

will the pyramiding stop? will it smooth out overtime? is there anything I can do to help this lil guy out? IS HE RUINED?
suggestions please :D
Attachments
turt.jpeg
vortex0357

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 am   Re: yellow bellied slider - pyramiding?!

How big is he? There is a lot of pyramiding, and most of it should smooth out with a proper diet and lots of shedding. There will likely be some minor pyramiding when all is said and done but he can still be healthy. Look into Omega One and Mazuri pellets as they are considered the best ones out there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:58 am   Re: yellow bellied slider - pyramiding?!

ugh I had a feeling it was pretty bad. :( His shell is about 4 inches.
So its possible that he will grow out of it with the proper diet from now on?
vortex0357

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:03 am   Re: yellow bellied slider - pyramiding?!

He probably won't grow much larger, but it should get much better with the corrections mentioned.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 am   Re: yellow bellied slider - pyramiding?!

You are fantastic! thank you so so so very much! I will definitely be getting him the pellets you mentioned!
vortex0357

Return to Other Turtle Discussion